Chapter 2

Viserra was out in the gardens again. Ser Tristane followed her closely behind, despite yesterday Viserra was smiling and in a generally good mood. Nobody wanted to see a sad little Princess. She walked to the Small Council rooms as she usually did and found it empty save for her grandfather.

"Good morrow grandfather" she said still smiling. Otto placed a kiss on her forehead before replying "Good morrow Viserra". 

Viserra always looked up to her grandfather, how he was always so composed and intelligent, she wanted to be more like him than she cared to admit. She sat down on a chair as they began to discuss trivial things. 

"Viserra listen to me." her grandfather commanded drawing her attention "We shall be heading to Driftmark soon. News has reached of the death of Lady Laena Velaryon".

 Viserra gasped, she hadn't known Laena Velaryon well, she'd only met her once but she liked the lady. Her presence made Rhaenyra so happy. "How awful!" she exclaimed, "If I may ask how did she die?". Her grandfather looked oddly happy "Dragon fire". 

Otto was right, soon Rhaenyra came into Viserra's room announcing Laena's death officially. All of them were expected to be at the funeral along with the Velaryon's and Prince Daemon, lady Laena's husband. Viserra had never met the Rogue Prince but she had heard stories of his adventures with the City Watch...and his adventures with her sister. She knew that Rhaenyra loved her uncle she could see it in the way her sisters' eyes would light up every time he was mentioned. 

Viserra went to Helaena's chambers where her sister sat observing a bud on her window. "Viserra come look at this one!". 

She walked over excited and sat down next to Helaena she looked at the bug crawling in her sister's hands. It was fucking hideous. But she wasn't going to tell her sister that, nobody really understood Helaena's fascination with the little creatures. 

"Yes sister it's quite...stunning". Helaena rolled her eyes "False flattery does not suit you" to which Viserra replied "Nor annoyance you". The girls spent the day together, looking at bugs and eating cake laughing and playing as children should. They basked in their youth and innocence regardless of how short it may be. 

Dinner was a sullen affair. Today's sad news robbed the usual cheeriness from the dinner table. Though Viserra tried to cut through the tension with small talk it was of no use. Rhaenyra and the King discussed funeral arrangements while her grandfather Otto seemed to be scolding Aegon, Helaena was staring off at the wall no doubt in some sort of trance. Viserra turned to her brother Aemond and began to talk with him. 

"One would think that our family was capable of more than talk to politics and death." she mused. Aemond eyed her warily before replying "They are quite dull aren't they?", Viserra chuckled "Yes terribly so. Now imagine if I wasn't here to make a jest or two". Both children giggled laughing at their incredibly boring family. 

In her chambers Viserra had her things packed to leave for Driftmark on the morrow when a knock came on her door. 

Her grandfather strode in taking in the state of her room his lip curling in disapproval, "A princess's room should look more presentable granddaughter". 

Viserra rolled her eyes at how uptight the man was. "You brother Aemond is able to maintain his rooms and himself child, you ought to learn from his example". Viserra huffed "Well why don't you go kiss his ass" she mumbled under her breath "I beg your pardon?" her grandfather questioned sharply. "Nothing grandfather" she quickly corrected. 

Her grandfather began telling her about Driftmark and the Velaryon's. "Tomorrow, you will be seeing Lord Corlys' brother Vaemond I want you to speak with him Viserra".

 Viserra was confused, why did she have to talk to Lord Vaemond? Before she could ask, her grandfather grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her closer to him "Viserra I know you care for your the Princess Rhaenyra, but she isn't who you think". Viserra quirked a brow at her grandfather "Whatever do you mean?". 

Her grandfather sighed dramatically and Viserra fought the urge to roll her eyes again. "What do you know of your sister's relationship with Prince Daemon?" he questioned. 

Viserra found his line of questioning incredibly odd but still said "Rhaenyra tells me that they use to very close. He makes her happy". 

Otto scoffed "A gross understatement. Your sister has had a long standing closeness with your uncle, and I have no doubt that they will again share this closeness at Driftmark". Viserra gasped "Surely not at Prince Daemon's late wife's funeral?". Her grandfather laughed "Oh sweet child you know nothing of them.". She hated when he called her a child. He didn't even call Helaena that. 

"Well I do not think their closeness" she looked up at him "shall pose as any problem. If they love each other that dearly, they should be allowed to express it should they not?". Her grandfather's upper lip curled in disgust "Your mother never stood for Rhaenyra's dalliances an neither should you Viserra". Viserra stiffened, she hated talking about her mother. Despite her trepidation Viserra straightened and said,

"I am not my mother grandfather, and that is our future Queen whom you spread vile rumors against. I suggest you do not imply such treason in front of the heir's favorite sister". She did not know where her courage came from usually she hated talking back to her grandfather, he made her feel so small and stupid but she hated how he spoke of Rhaenyra even more. 

He stood abruptly and turned to Viserra "You'll see soon enough, your sister would put all of you to the sword if it meant she could have her throne". He began to walk away but Viserra wasn't done yet "She would never do that. Rhaenyra would never do that." Her grandfather turned in the doorway "You think you know how this world works but you do not" he spat at her. 

"When you see the truth do not come crying to me". With that he left her chambers. Viserra was shocked at the vehemence in his words. Did her truly think so little of Rhaenyra?

Otto 

The girl was too stubborn. He did not know he she came to be this way. Alicent was much more complaint. But Viserra, kind though she may be naïve she was not. She was clever, too clever for a woman that she could mask it with stupidity. Otto would never admit it out loud but the girl terrified him. She was not easy to control like Aemond nor was she as foolish as Aegon. She took after him more than he'd thought. He was proud of hid grandchild but also increasingly frustrated. She would need more time to see the right side and Otto needed more time to get her there.

 "Ser Tristane would you be so kind as to inform the Princess that I would like to see her in the gardens on the morrow". The guard raised an eyebrow at him, clearly suspicious of the conversation Otto had had with Viserra, but he only said "Of course my Lord Hand". Otto thanked him and left. 

He visited Aemond next. The boy always caused trouble only Alicent could ever keep him on a leash. He did not have a dragon either, but the latter Otto hoped to fix soon. Aemond opened the door looking shocked at his grandfather's visit but allowed him in regardless. 

"What do you want?" Aemond questioned. Otto smiled at him "Do you know of the Velaryon's much?". 

"They survived the Doom with us, they're the wealthiest family in Westeros and their son is married to my sister, what else is there to know?" Aemond said annoyed. 

"Did you know that the late Lady Laena's  mount was Vhagar?" that caught his attention. Finally, Otto thought. "What of it?" Aemon asked but he was too intrigued now. 

"Well now that Lady Laena had passed her youngest daughter Rhaena is supposed to claim Vhagar after her.". Aemond visibly deflated at that but Otto pressed on "Alas, such a shame that such a great dragon be wasted on a girl so slight". Aemond did not reply, but he did not need to Otto's work was done he could almost see the gears turning in Aemond's mind. \

"Indeed" was all the boy said. "Goodnight grandfather" he said with finality, Otto left the room with a sick sense of anticipation. He needed Aemond for his plans. Aegon will be on the throne. Otto would ensure it.