Chapter 22

Viserra ignored the pungent smell of Flea Bottom. Surrounded by nearly a dozen gold cloaks she refrained from passing comment. How could she? These men spent their whole days in the worst part of the city with little complaint it would be selfish of her to whine after only a few weeks of infrequent visits

She'd been delivering food and other goods to the local orphanages and had been reading to the little children. For the first time in a while Viserra felt good. It felt good to be doing something meaningful. To help someone. It also didn't hurt to make a few new different sort of allies. Ones whom she could trust outside the Keep. 

"You should return home soon Princess. The streets become a terrible place after dark.". Her associate and spy Maryse said to her. 

Viserra had found Maryse outside a pleasure house in early hours of the morning when she had come to deliver food to the city for the very first time. The woman had seemed kind enough, she'd helped Viserra and even kept her company during her visits. Although her presence seemed to irritate Aemond for some reason.

Aemond always came with her for the visits. First he said it was out of boredom but then Aemond told her that it was unsafe for her to go alone.

"I won't be alone. I'll have guards with me at all times. Grandfather would never let me go if he wasn't sure of my safety you know that.". She had told him the night before her first visit. When he barged into her chambers demanding that he accompany her. 

"Guards can become craven in a second when faced with true adversity. I do not trust any of them. Not with you.". Aemond had said to her, a little desperately. 

Viserra smiled touching her lip at the memory. He could be so very gallant sometimes. 

"The prince is staring princess" Maryse smiled and said. "Is he?" she asked a blush forming on her face. 

"He has not taken his eye off of you" the girl said excitedly. She rarely saw such affection between people. 

"Because he is here to protect me, it is his job" she said. She needed to remind herself not to get too entranced with Aemond Targaryen. 

"Come let us go inside" she commanded. 

Soon enough Viserra sat inside the 'hall' of the orphanage. The little smiling faces of the children surrounded her in a sea of little heads of black, brown and golden. 

The septa who ran the place sat beside her introducing her to the children. Gods they were so small. Some of them had soot stains all over their faces. Others had scars and other mutilations. How could the Gods be so cruel to ones so innocent. 

"The princess is going to read you a story" the septa announced. Viserra looked up to see other common folk gathered outside the gates of the orphanage. She winced at that. She did wish for such fanfare to be made. 

The septa handed her a worn out, thin book Viserra ran her hands along its spine smiling softly and the familiar crinkle of the pages of a book she'd read nearly a thousand times before. 

"Tales of Aegon's Conquest and the glory of Visenya and Rhaenys" Viserra said raising her voice slightly. Just as she opened her mouth to begin a cry went through the room. 

Some of the children gasped and turned to the source of the sound. Aemond was at her side immediately. His fingers ghosting her elbow lightly. 

Viserra stood up and walked to the source. "Viserra" Aemond warned, so softly nobody else could hear him. She ignored him and sat down staring sweetly at the crying child. 

"What's your name sweetling?" she asked gently. The boy's cries seemed to settle at the calm tone of her voice. 

"P-Pyp princess" he said tears falling across his dangerously pale face. Viserra noted how thin and frail and boy seemed. "How old are you Pyp?" she asked smoothing his rough and dirty hair softly. "Twelve since my last name day". Viserra was surprised, the boy did not seem twelve at all. With his frail and tiny body he could not have seemed more than eight name days at least.