Chapter 11

Over the course of the next few days Viserra spent most of her time with the Lord Commander and her grandfather, mapping a route through the city and where exactly to stop. 

"Lord Commander with all due respect I wish to simply give them food not plan a royal tour." she said frustrated, all this for something so simple. 

Before Westerling could speak her grandfather cut in sharply "All this" he said "is being done to ensure your safety child, the streets of King's Landing are dangerous. Many would use your generosity against you.". Viserra rolled her eyes, of course he would say that. Otto Hightower never seemed to be short on words or explanations. 

Viserra looked to the white cloaks in the room "So are you then telling me that the men responsible for keeping our streets clean and safe have grown complacent?"

The Lord Commander shook his head profusely "The men of the city watch are-" 

"Loyal to one man. Prince Daemon, yes I am well aware" she interrupted "I will have that remedied. Speaking of have invitations for by brother and sisters' wedding been sent to Dragonstone?"

At this her grandfather spoke up hesitantly "Viserra...perhaps it would be ill advised to host Princess Rhaenyra here for the wedding after the incident at Driftmark.". From the corner of the room Ser Criston Cole made a sound of agreement. 

Viserra sighed, although she was angry and upset at Rhaenyra she would not hesitate to defend her in front of these men. "Princess Rhaenyra is heir to the iron throne. Our future Queen, not inviting her for her own brother and sisters' wedding would be a great insult.". The Lord Commander nodded in agreement, he had had a close relationship with Rhaenyra when she was younger. 

"The Princess is right" Larys Strong who had been silent all this while finally suggested. He smiled at Viserra which made her deeply uncomfortable. Her grandfather sent a glare Larys' way. "And if Princess Rhaenyra chooses not to attend the fault will not lie among us, that is for sure.". 

"Let me write it" Viserra said carefully "my sister and I were very close, I am sure a letter written by my hand shall be received well". She was  lying through her teeth. In truth Viserra just wanted her eldest sister to come back home. She hated herself for the way she had acted on Driftmark. Gods she hadn't even been bothered to say goodbye. 

"Very well then" her grandfather spoke "That settles it. Viserra shall write a letter to Dragonstone then. We'll have all the arrangements made for your visit tomorrow.". 

With that the meeting concluded and Viserra left to go to the gardens where she knew her uncle Gwayne would be. 

She saw him around the corner, first hiding behind the push to prepare herself. She loosened her braided her a little and made a few strands fall to her face, before running to her uncle forcing her breath to quicken. 

Gwayne Hightower turned to find his niece running to him and immediately became alert "Viserra is everything alright?" he asked worriedly. 

"No...uncle I" she panted, he stared at her with concern "My friend Yerene her dress has been impaled by a thorn bush, she's stuck...uncle you have to help her!". The knight raised his eyebrows in bewilderment before collecting himself. 

"Go quickly now!" Viserra urged him, giving him her best 'helpless' look. That seemed to do the trick. "Right away dear" he said. Viserra pointed to where she told Yerene to wait earlier that morning. She watched in satisfaction as her uncle ran to help the damsel in distress. Once he was out of sight Viserra let out a laugh. Well she had done her bit as promised, the rest was up to Yerene. 

"How very clever of you child." a voice said from behind her making Viserra whirl in surprise. Viserra backed away a little as Larys Strong or 'the Clubfoot' approached her with his unsettling smile.