Chapter 9

Viserra really fucking hated the sea. The rocked again and again making her feel more ill each time it dipped so perilously close to the caves. She suppressed a shudder as she tried to suppress bile from rising in her throat. 

"Vis, sit down your going to fall over" her new handmaiden Nadia suggested. 

"If I sit I am going to pass out." Viserra moaned as she felt her head and stomach churn as another wave hit them. 

"How are you this bad? Have you never travelled before?" Nadia asked concerningly. 

"Obviously I've never had to travel during a fucking storm." she scolded groaning again gesturing for Nadia to pass her the jug of water on her table. The girl did so with a sigh her impatience growing as the minutes passed. 

Viserra gulped down the water quickly feeling only the briefest relief from the pain. "Keep drinking the water, it will help.". Nadia said softly. Outside the storm was raging as rain pattered the deck above them. 

"I'm going out.". Viserra said trying to make her voice sound firm. 

"Are you mad? You'll fall over and drown in the fucking sea.". Nadia shrieked. "Let me come with you." she said. Viserra shook her head. 

"No you stay here, rest. I'll have Tristane with me.". Viserra assured. Nadia bit her lip in worry but eventually agreed. 

Viserra clutched her abdomen and staggered out the door, as she tumbled through it the ship tilted perilously close to the waves and Viserra stifled a scream as she pitched forward towards the floor. 

Warm hands caught her by the waist as she was pulled upright "I've got you Princess". Her guard Tristane spoke. Thought she was upright he did not let go of her. "Where are you going exactly?" he asked her. 

"To the deck. And thank you.". Tristane smiled at her as they slowly made their way up to the deck. The sound of the rain became louder and louder until it sounded like a thousand horse hooves hitting the hard ground rather than harmless water droplets. 

Once they reached the deck Viserra noticed the commotion. People were milling about so nobody noticed her thankfully. She saw Vaemond at the helm barking orders at the others while some of his men climbed up the masts. Viserra squinted against the rain as she gazed up worriedly at the two men almost ten feet up in the air. 

"Will they be alright?" she asked Tristane worriedly. 

"Worry not Princess they have been trained for such things.". Tristane replied although he himself was looking up brow furrowed in concern. 

Viserra shuddered as she and Tristane got soaked in the rain. She did not notice as her dress grew slick and stuck to her body, the sleeve on her left shoulder fell exposing her collarbones. She watched, eyes widening in shock as one of the men lost his footing and slipped. 

"Gods be good!" she gasped covering her mouth in horror. Tristane spoke furiously to another, trying to get help but Viserra was not listening. Her eyes were on the man, if she tried hard enough she could hear his screaming over the top of the harsh winds and pouring rain. 

Before Viserra's mind could catch up to her she started running. Towards the mast where the man was clinging to the ledge for his life. Tristane turned to find her running "PRINCESS" he yelled across the deck "COME BACK HERE.". 

Viserra ignored him and everyone else who tried stopping her. A sailor tried grabbing her dress but Viserra dodged his arms and continued running to her mast. She caught the attention of the rest of the crew as she ascended up the ladder, ignoring the biting cold of the metal. Viserra heaved herself onto a railing tied to the mast, which was moving far too much in the wind. She tried ignoring how slick the thin railing was, if she slipped here she'd fall and break her neck.