Chapter 5

The morning of the funeral came quicker than expected. Viserra noticed the woeful silence of the seaside castle as she made her way to the kitchens in hopes to find some pastry. She hummed quietly while she walked breathing in the salty scent of Driftmark. 

Today Laena Velaryon's body would be cast out to the sea as per Velaryon traditions. The air of grief was stifling here. Viserra longed to return to the warm sun of King's Landing and escape the dreary weather and mood. 

Viserra's silence was interrupted as she entered the kitchens, entering the chaos of cooks and maids running around with cut meat and vegetables in preparation for the funeral and other meals. She could hear the head cook at the back barking orders at the other staff while she stood near an open flame which was cooking some kind of stew. 

She walked to the area where the sweets were kept, hoping to snag a tart or cake without anyone noticing. As she drifted closer to the counter someone's hand shot out and grabbed her wrist. 

"What do we have here"? The head cook asked, her voice was deep and gravelly as she peered down at Viserra. Her eyes widened in shock once she realized who Viserra was. 

"Princess" she said, dropping her hand immediately as if it were hot coal. "Forgive me I...I did not recognize you" she stammered. Her previous bitterness gone. Viserra gave her a soft smile. 

"It is not a problem" Viserra replied, the woman smiled as she asked "Well what can I do for you your grace"? 

"It's highness" Viserra said abruptly. The woman's eyebrows creased in confusion "For a Princess it's your highness. Grace is reserved for the monarch" Viserra informed. The cook nodded, "Oh I see. Thank you...your highness". Viserra smiled at her in appreciation. 

"If you would be so kind I would love to see your collection of sweets. What can I say I do have a sweet tooth lady..."? Viserra suggested. 

The woman laughed while fiddling with er fingers "Oh I'm no lady your gra... highness. I'm just Mora". 

"Mora. Such a lovely name" Viserra mused making her old woman blush. "In that case Mora could you please show me the sweets" she asked batting her eyes at the cook. Mora laughed again this time with amusement. "Right this way Princess Viserra". 

As Viserra helped herself to a slice of chocolate cake Mora explained the unusual business of the kitchens. "Since the royal family is here along with Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys I've increased everyone's hours of work. But there's still a lot of empty positions so were extremely chaotic" she stated. 

Viserra surveyed the kitchen seeing the sweat and dirt coated on the staff's clothes and faces. Some of them looked as young as her and some could have older than the late King Jaehaerys himself. Viserra knew that she lived a life far better than most others but she hated to see these people working themselves to the death so that her family could have a few extra slices of pork left for dinner. She cringed thinking of how much food would have been wasted at the end of their meals. She wondered how many times she left her plates unfinished, never worrying about what would happen to the delectable food afterwards. 

"Well could I be of any help Mora"? Viserra asked. 

Mora looked scandalized "Oh... why I- I would never ask that of you". Viserra rolled her eyes as she pushed her sleeves back and tied her hair up with a ribbon " Then I demand that you teach me the basics of your craft Mora". 

The woman stilled looked wary "Come on now you don't want to disobey the direct order of a Princess would you?" 

Mora bit her lip in frustration before resigning af5ter Viserra gave her a dazzling smile "Very well then, come". Viserra followed her rolling up the sleeves of her dress and pinning her hair back.