Chapter 13

Aemond's pov

Aemond trained everyday with Criston Cole. He did not know if it was out of desire or duty. Perhaps both, perhaps neither. But everyday since his eye was lost Aemond would train with the knight until his legs collapsed and his arms refused to work. Some days he would do so hard that at the end he couldn't even stand. He would simply kneel on the floor, the rocks scraping his knees and breathed. Again and again, till his body began working. Then he'd repeat the same the next day. Tiring as it was Aemond liked it far better than wallowing in his chambers. And since his grandfather so kindly gifted him the leather eyepatch he Aemond figured he was likely not welcome at court for a while. 

That suited him just fine though. He loathed their stares. Their harsh whispers, the lords and ladies of the court liked to act dignified and elegant but they were nothing more than heartless ravens. Feasting at the expense of another. Never in his life would Aemond have thought him to be similar to his half sister Rhaenyra. She faced similar slanders everyday too. Perhaps if she were here...No. Aemond thought, the bitch and her brood of bastards were gone to Dragonstone thankfully. Aemond relished the idea of never seeing that bastard Lucerys ever again. If he did Aemond wasn't sure he'd be able to control his anger. 

"My prince?" Ser Criston asked shaking Aemond from his thoughts. "What.". Aemond snapped. 

Criston frowned as he looked over Aemond's posture. He rolled his eyes before straightening and holding his wooden sword up. "Again." he commanded. "No" Cole replied smoothly. "We're done for the day.". Aemond scowled and yelled "Again!". Yet Criston did not waver he simply crossed his arms "Are you going to be lost in your thoughts in a battle?" Cole questioned smirking. Though Aemond liked Ser Criston he could be an ass. 

"Fine" Aemond hissed, tossing his wooden sword back to a guard standing back. He began to walk when we heard a soothing feminine laughter. Viserra. He turned his face one way, then realized that his eye was missing and then turned his body around. He watched her. She was holding flowers in her hand, daisies. And was chatting with the Frey lord. What was his name? Forrest? Forhill? Something like that. 

His eye went back to Viserra, she wasn't wearing green today. Which surprisingly relieved Aemond. Instead she wore a deep purple and gold dress, her hair was braided into the bun held by a matching pin and her silk shoes matched too. He was charmed by how put together and flawless she looked. She reminded him so much of their mother. The green Queen who showed nothing but regal elegance and grace. 

But where their mother use to be reserved and calm, Viserra was lively and full of vitality. He watched unable to look away as Lord Frey eat out of her hands. Flushing red every time she gave him compliments. Eventually she ended the conversation with the man and he went off his way. Viserra turned and looked straight at him. She went red as cherries as she caught Aemond staring at her. Aemond smirked as he walked towards her. 

"Fishing for a husband dear sister?" Aemond asked sarcastically. Viserra laughed again "If I was then a married man would certainly not be my first preference.". 

"Then who would?" Aemond asked finding himself oddly curious. Viserra gave him a sly smile "A princess never tells." she said winking. Gods, Aemond thought. When had she gotten so bold? He found himself laughing. His previous anger quickly dissipating. 

"So what were you really doing with him?" Aemond asked. Perhaps he was a bit more than curious. "Well" Viserra began. "Grandfather wanted me to speak with him. Lord Frey has some interesting opinions of our brother which grandfather believed needed to me amended.". 

"So he sent you darling?" Viserra's eyes widened realizing what he said but she did not remark on it.

"Well yes. I am much more pleasing that grandfather aren't I?" She asked, batting her lovely eyes at him. "Yes. Yes you are Viserra.". She giggled and he suppressed a chuckle. "Wait" Aemond said suddenly "What was Lord Frey saying?" Viserra bit her lip as if hesitating.