Chapter 4

Viserra woke early the next morning, she wanted to explore the seaside castle before everyone else woke up. She dressed herself in a soft blue dress and quietly left her chambers. She walked down the corridors silently taking in the various decorations and portraits adorned on the stone walls.

 She came across a family portrait of the Velaryon's that made her pause. It was a portrait of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys sitting on a chaise with Laenor and Laena standing beside them. They all looked so happy and carefree, a true family Viserra thought. Not like hers, cracked and as rough as the Narrow Sea. 

Viserra continued walking through the halls and corridors hoping to find some kind of secret entrance or false door that would lead her to some magical place. She'd always read stories about girls falling into the most magnificent and beautiful of places. 

Once she'd read a story of a girl names Deanna who found a long lost sword in a secret garden and then slayed a great beast with it. Viserra sometimes found herself wishing that she could leave her life and enter a new one filled with beautiful places and good food. 

Soon enough Viserra decided came across the vast library in Driftmark and nearly fainted. As she entered in she basked in the scent of parchment and ink and she looked up at columns and columns of books, each of varying sizes and shapes. The library's roof was arched and Viserra could see the beams that held it in place. While the rest of Driftmark was a rather cold palette of colors, the library was warm and felt like home. A large hearth burned logs, making the place the perfect temperature for someone to sit comfortably. 

"Do they not have good libraries in the Keep anymore?" Prince Daemon asked out of the corner where he was sitting with a book in his lap as she watched Viserra. His voice made her gasp in surprise before she quickly recovered placing a smile on her face. 

"Good morrow Prince Daemon" she said warmly, the man laughed at her formality. 

"Answer the question" he urged her. "Well" Viserra began "The Keep dedicates more space to other things which is unfortunate. This place is..." she trialed off "Magical?" Daemon completed for her. 

"Yes" Viserra affirmed "It is".

 The Prince smiled at her "Well if you think this library is grand then I'm sure you'd love the one on Dragonstone. It's double this size" he claimed proudly. 

Viserra grinned, already thinking of it she didn't even notice herself sitting down beside Daemon. 

"Tell me more of it?" she asked. Daemon obliged happily, they spent the rest of the morning talking about Dragonstone and its history. 

Viserra found Prince Daemon to be nothing like how he was rumored to be. He was always painted as a violent and ruthless man but the Daemon she spoke to was charming, quick witted and intelligent. Though she supposed that those traits were not mutually exclusive. 

Viserra barely noticed that the sun had already risen by the time the two made their way to the dining rooms to break fast. She realized how long they'd been talking when they came into the dining rooms while everyone was already seated. All eyes turned their way as Viserra and Daemon took their seats. Viserra made eye contact with Aemond, and they both blushed profusely. Aemond gave her an apologetic smile to which Viserra simply nodded. 

The mood was grim. Nobody truly spoke, any silvers of conversation quickly faded. Lady Laena's death was felt exceedingly. There were two empty chairs beside Luke, Baela and Rhaena had chosen to stay in their rooms. Viserra's heart ached for the girls. Her own mother died yes but Queen Alicent had died when Viserra was born, she could not miss someone she did not know. But Baela and Rhaena lost their mother only so recently, and now they were expected to sit amongst others and pretend that they were alright. Viserra felt like an intruder in their home despite how much she liked it.  She would make it a point to visit them soon.