Chapter 18

Nadia's pov

Life in the Red Keep was not at all what Nadia had prepared for. Seeing the royal family so close was jarring enough but the sheer chaos and dysfunctionality that was House Targaryen amazed Nadia so much.

She wasn't blind to the tension between the two "factions" of the royals. She'd seen as much on Driftmark (her mother had often said that Nadia had a knack for seeing things she wasn't supposed to notice) but Nadia knew enough about the world to know to keep her mouth shut on such things. 

Still she wasn't used to seeing blatant treachery in the Keep. Servants who spied on the young princes and princesses. Maesters who brewed funny looking teas. And the Targaryens themselves most of all. Even on Driftmark Nadia had heard the reputations of the "greens" children. 

Prince Aemond, who though being a boy of fourteen name days was a fearsome creature to behold. Even more so now without his eye. Prince Aegon...well every serving girl in the realm knew to stay away from Prince Aegon's prying hands and unnerving gaze. The young Prince was known was his visits to the street of silk and Nadia had seem the Hand of the King summon many a girl to his scary looking tower to drink a certain tea. 

So when the summons came for her Nadia could not help but panic. The knight Criston Cole came into the servants' quarters where Nadia was resting. She had had a taxing evening with Viserra. Oh Viserra. How Nadia loved and hated that girl. For the longest time Nadia envied the gentry. With their pretty clothes and refined manners they seemed perfect, almost godlike in the sight of common men. But after spending time in the Keep Nadia knew how miserable their lives were. The were bound by all these unwritten rules and beneath their pretty words and handsome faces they really were a sorry lot. 

But still Nadia wanted to be among them. Perhaps it was self destructive of her, to crave something she could never have but it never hurt to try right?

"My lady?" the knight inquired looking at her. Nadia found the clinking sound of his mail to be quite frightening, but she tried not to show it as her mother had taught her. 

"Oh I'm no lady Ser" she said ensuring her voice sounded perfectly demure "Just a maid" she said feigning a small smile. The knight however, did not seem amused. 

"Your presence is required in the tower of the Hand. Allow me to accompany you." he said coolly. Nadia could see that beneath his kind words, there really was no choice for her. Some of the other maids standing near their cots looked at her funny, while not so discreetly listening. 

Bloody gossipmongers. 

"Of course Ser, lead the way" Nadia said bowing her head respectfully. The knight seemed content enough with her perfectly deferential tone and began leading the way. 

He lead her through a series of corridors as they passed several other guards and servants. Nadia however did not notice them, she kept her eyes down running through her mind what exactly she could have done to warrant a visit to the Hand of the King. 

Nadia had heard several rumors surrounding the Hand. She knew the general facts most others did too. Lord Otto Hightower served two kings faithfully and was King Viserys' most trusted advisor. But he was also Viserra's grandfather. And from what Nadia could tell he was much fond of her. 

But then again of course he was. Everyone was fond of  Viserra. She was so easy to like. Smart, witty and beautiful as all Targaryen's were, Viserra was a vision. Nadia tried to quench the burn of jealousy in her heart but couldn't. Viserra had everything in life. A wealthy family, beauty, intelligence and more. Why wasn't she satisfied? 

To raise the entire castle over a dragon the size of a fucking cat was the most childish thing Nadia had ever seen. 

But she is a child. The reasonable part of Nadia's brain argued. But she was still angry at Viserra. The girl had practically ordered Nadia's death when she informed her about her missing dragon. At the time Nadia was actually terrified of Viserra. The way the anger burned in her gaze. Her crazed expression. There was something in Viserra, that scared Nadia quite a lot. A sense of madness that rarely showed.