Chapter 7

After letting Moana rest a bit more and getting some food in her, she was ready to explore the island. Maui, knowing how she was, wasn't going to stop her, so he offered to stay on shore and watch the canoe for the time being.

"If you insist!"

At first, Keoni wanted to also stay on shore, but Moana took his hand, insisting he tag along. And honestly, he couldn't say no. It was a small island anyway, they wouldn't be gone very long. So, he agreed.

She led the two of them into the largest cave entrance that stood out, holding a newly lit torch in front of them, casting a warm glow on the monochromatic volcanic rock. The cave itself was pretty sizable, enough for a small group of people to sit inside comfortably, and one side of the cave walls had large holes bored in, allowing a view of the sea from inside.

As Keoni looked around, Moana was focused on the wall behind him. Hearing her make a sound of curiosity, he diverted his attention to where her gaze focused.

With the fire casting its glow, Keoni was able to see various carvings on the wall. He could make out the different figures of people and some animals, like fish and sharks. He reached his hand up to a figure he saw that held one tiny figure in its arm. People certainly lived here a long, long time ago. And the carvings were the only evidence left behind.

"You consider yourself the curious type?" Came Moana's voice. He shrugged.

"Uh, not really. Not if I don't have to be." She glanced at him in mild surprise but mostly curiosity.

"How come?" Another shrug.

"I mean, as a kid, my mom was very protective of my sister and me after my dad died. We never strayed far from her. And then, when I was alone on my island, I was terrified of what I would find in the jungle. If I got hurt and couldn't find my way back to the village... there wouldn't have been anyone to help me. So, if I remained uncurious and never strayed beyond the village, I would stay alive."

That... made a lot of sense, actually. And Moana didn't blame him.

"Well, you're off the island now. Think you might be open to letting yourself wonder?" He glanced at her, and their eyes met briefly. He couldn't help but crack a small smile.

"Maybe, if I've got the right person to lead me."

There was a slightly awkward pause as they absorbed each other's words. Just as Moana opened her mouth to say something, a strange noise echoed deep within the cave, and an overpowering scent of sea air, seaweed, and some other strange smell wafted down.

"What in the world was that?" Keoni questioned.

"I have no idea. The island should be uninhabited." She remarked, then faced him, "wanna go check it out?" She began walking ahead, and he just remained close behind. As they walked, the carvings kept going further and further. At the same time, the strong smell got even stronger, and then there was the smell of dead fish.

The pair began coughing as soon as the pungent smell reached their noses. Keoni, however,

not as much. Even though he was used to the strong smell of fish guts, it didn't mean he still didn't react to it.

They finally reached where the smell was the strongest, and with their noses covered, they realized that there was an open-air underwater cave right beneath the island. It did seem that the cave they walked through was one of two entrances. The other looked to be underwater, though it was difficult to see.

The cave lake in the center was a glimmering, brilliant blue, the refractions of the water lighting up the cave ceiling. And upon craning their necks up, they saw glow worms on the ceiling as well, pockets of them nestled between the numerous stalactites. Stalagmites also filled the surrounding cave ground, other unknown critters and bugs skittering about. Almost every audible movement echoed and reverberated around them. The whole cave practically glowed blue. It was one of the most incredible things Keoni had ever seen.