Chapter 14

Moana did not see that coming.

Fetia... was actually... Keoni's mother?!

How... how was that possible? He wasn't a demi-god like Maui, and his father was a mortal-turned-spirit.

She remained silent as Fetia brought Keoni in for a hug that he practically melted into. She whispered something in his ear that brought him to tears. She gazed at him in the way a mother would, cupping her son's face in her hands, brushing a stray tear away with her thumb. Then she leaned forward, sharing Hongi with him.

It gave Moana flashbacks of her own reunion with her grandmother and how emotional it was.

She understood.

Then, Fetia turned her attention to Moana, though she wasn't really sure what to expect.

Moana, daughter of Tui and Sina, descendant of Matai Vata, chief of Motunui. With the same loving smile, Fetia took Moana's hands into hers, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for accepting my quest to reunite me with my son.

"Of course, it was my honor to duty to do so. But... I have so many questions."

I know. And there is much to be explained. But I am awaiting one more to join us, so this will all make sense.

"Wait, who?"

As if intentionally summoned for the perfect moment, the spirit animal of Lawai'a suddenly appeared near shore, and Lawai'a materialized before the group.

"Dad?" Keoni said in surprise. Lawai'a did not answer him. Instead, the spirit was captivated by the goddess standing before him. Fetia appeared emotional at his presence as if she was expecting him specifically.

By gods above... Lawai'a managed out.

Lawai'a... Fetia addressed.

Moana turned to Maui, baffled by this turn of events, Maui, however, said nothing, just silently encouraged her to listen and watch.

I don't understand... How is this possible? Lawai'a questioned. Silently, Fetia took Lawai'a's hand in hers and Keoni's hand in the other and gestured for Moana to join them.

I know this is overwhelming and that you all have questions. And I answer your questions by telling you that I called to Moana knowing she would be able to help Keoni.

Knowing they were listening, Fetia continued.

Looking back now... I realized the trajectory of my life shifted when Lawai'a was ripped from my life. At that point, I had the gods' attention. But everything shifted even more when our chief announced a mass exodus from our island as it was being overtaken by the Darkness spread by Te Ka. We were desperate and left with no other choice. We boarded our canoes and fled in a terrible storm. And I was forced to watch as my beloved son was ripped away from me as well by a vengeful wave. For a long time following our exodus, I was wrecked with guilt of not being able to protect my son enough from the same fate as his father.

Huihana and I tried a new life on a different island with our village. However, my own grief and guilt prevented me from being a mother and trying to live a new life. I was already ill in the mind, and my illness tormented my body as well, and soon... I couldn't fight it anymore. I didn't want to leave Huihana alone, but my body couldn't fight anymore.

The next thing I knew... I awoke in the realm of the gods. Te Fiti, Tangaroa, Pele, Hina... they were all there to welcome me. There, they told me that they had watched my life and that they knew how much I wished I could have changed things... done something differently that wouldn't have caused so much pain. So, they gave me a choice. I could remain a spirit and join my ancestors... or, I could join their pantheon and become one of them. If I became one of them, I would be in charge of writing the fates of mortals, giving me the ability to give them better lives.

And I agreed. Though, I told them that if I were to accept, I wanted to keep track of my daughter. And that's when they revealed to me that Keoni was still alive. And when I saw what had happened to him, I made it my first duty as a goddess to reunite them. But, I did not know how to go about such a quest or where to start. And then Te Fiti spoke up and knew the perfect individual who could help.

Fetia turned to Moana, she told me your story and how you indirectly saved Keoni's life, and Huihana's, by restoring Te Fiti's heart. It was then I knew that you were going to be my choice to bring my children back together.

Moana was stunned. Te Fiti... name-dropped her? To other gods? She was certainly honored, of course. And overwhelmed with so much information. Her actions with Te Fiti truly changed her life in ways she could have never imagined.

And Lawai'a... I wanted to see you again. For all this time, I waited for the perfect moment to call out to you, just so I could feel your presence again.

Lawai'a beamed with the knowledge his wife missed him so dearly.

I've missed you more than you could imagine. I told our son that I regret ever going fishing that day. If I hadn't, we would still be together.

Yes, our lives would've been different. But there's something I've learned since being given my choice to become a goddess. One way or another, there's a fate for all of us, and some things... are meant to happen. Unavoidable. And we mustn't try to challenge that.

"... So, you know how fate works?" Moana asked, and Fetia nodded.

I know how it works... because it's my responsibility. I am the goddess of the stars, and I read people's paths in the stars. The sky tells me the lives of everyone, and in some small ways, I can change things. However, I actively avoid doing such things, as I believe gods must tread carefully with the power they hold.

That was fair.

"Mom... where is my sister? You said she's still alive?" Keoni questioned.

She is. I guided her path to where I knew she would be welcomed and safe. She is now on Motunui.

"Wait, what? Motunui?" Fetia nodded.

Stability awaits them both. Was all Fetia had to add.

Moana craned her neck up at the sky. The star constellation was now directly above them, so it was a straight trail of stars overhead. Fetia had intentionally guided them with the stars.

Your sister is strong, bold, and resilient. And she misses you dearly. I know your arrival on Motunui will be a welcome surprise to her.

Keoni lit up with the new knowledge. He had always looked up to his sister growing up. She was always there for him and told him stories about their father, no matter how vague or fuzzy her memories were. Even as they grew older and his sister sought more independence as a teenager, they still remained close.

And now, Keoni latched onto the hope that they could rekindle their bond on Motunui and build a new life as brother and sister.