Chapter 25

Huihana was utterly delighted with her brother having gotten his sling off. And with her wedding coming up so soon, she was in high spirits.

Moana was eager to aid her, keeping ideas for her possible future wedding in the back of her mind. From the tailoring of Huihana's dress to the ideas for the grand feast, and the flowers used for decoration. The young chief's mind was reeling, and every instance she saw Huihana and Engle together in their planning, she could see herself and Keoni.

She had offered her resources to help coordinate everything, to which Huihana gladly accepted, but Keoni's sister reminded her that there was no need to pull all the stops, after all, she wasn't chief.

"I know I know..." Moana relented.

The big day was fast approaching, having been scheduled to occur during the full moon, and so an offering would be made to the Goddess of the Moon, Hina. And Huihana was being pampered by her soon-to-be in-laws. Enele's sister Apikaila even added a few touches of iridescent shell pieces to the dress; the young woman was absolutely delighted to have a sister-in-law.

At last, the big day finally arrived. The moon was expected to be brilliant and full that night, which was a sign of good fortune.

Moana quickly made her way to Enele's family's residence where Huihana was getting ready. Kalei was combing through her hair, which was loose from its usual bun, and her bangs were pulled back and out of her face. And for the past week leading up to the big day, her skin and hair were meticulously treated and cared for with kukui oil. Her skin was smooth and soft, as was her hair, which fell down her back in loose waves. A flower crown made of white gardenias and orchids was placed atop her head, a few strands of her hair woven in to secure it.

Her dress was made of cream-colored tapa, decorated with hand-painted floral patterns, with kukui nut beads and shell embellishments decorating the skirt and bodice. Around her wrists and ankles were adorned with flower bracelets that tinkled with the sound of beads.

She was a sight to behold, and Moana knew how lucky of a man Enele was.

The ceremony began without a hitch, with one of Motunui's holy men blowing the pū shell to announce the beginning of the ceremony, which was followed by the guests and the families singing the "Oli Aloha", welcoming Huihana and Enele to the platform.

As the formalities commenced, Tui and Moana stood just off to the side next to the holy man and Enele's side to provide their witness and blessing. Keoni and Apikaila stood opposite Huihana; Keoni was dressed in fine adornments of a lavalava and a lei of his own as his part of the ceremony, as he was Huihana's only family left. It was truly just a formality, though, Keoni just wanted to support his sister.

As the holy man spoke and continued, Moana made eye contact with Keoni, observing him closely. He caught her look, giving her a genuine smile, though it was clear to her it was a bittersweet one. But she understood, giving him a smile of her own and the subtlest of nods.

This exchange did not go unnoticed by Tui or Sina, as both had seen the connection their daughter shared with the young man, and Tui was already beginning to envision the future the pair would have. He made a mental note to begin the process of preparing Keoni for the duties that awaited him, given that Moana had been keeping her parents up to date on Keoni's progress. Perhaps this was exactly what was needed, sure, Keoni was skilled, but Tui could see his potential, especially in how Keoni had inadvertently been leading the fishermen, aiding them in improvements and coordination.

Following the vows, the couple was given their blessing with Koa wood, a Ti leaf, and water. Used to symbolize the integrity, health, and new beginnings for the couple. Then they exchanged open-ended leis of jasmine and Ti leaves, and bound their hands together with a maile lei.