Chapter 30

In the months following the wedding and their eventual consummation of the marriage, Keoni was now accustomed to his new status, but he always shadowed his wife out of comfort. Even if he was used to the new changes, he still preferred the comfort of Moana leading the pair.

And while life was overall going smoothly, Moana had begun to feel... off. She couldn't quite explain it, but she simply didn't feel like herself. She felt exhausted all the time, and her head felt stuffy, something she never experienced before. Then on top of that, she also experienced minor bouts of dizziness. Sometimes even taking a few steps was a challenge, having to be steadied. She was getting annoyed by it way more than she used to. Just, constant irritation.

Her female relatives spoke amongst each other, Sina and Huihana especially. They shared their suspicions out of earshot from Moana, while it was evident she and Keoni were ready for a family, they still wanted some time as a couple before kids came into the picture. But they knew the signs, as well as the ones old wives tales spoke of. It was all lining up.

And poor Moana was outright miserable. Her dizziness turned into nausea, which was worse than just wanting to vomit. Even constantly drinking coconut water wasn't enough to soothe her. Having enough of her being miserable and also concerned she would faint and hurt herself, Keoni sent her to Alaula to get looked at and see what could be done to treat her ailments.

Needless to say, Keoni did not expect Moana to return with the news she did.

She was pregnant.

Overcoming the initial shock, Keoni was overjoyed, but still in disbelief. He was going to be a father!

By Te Fiti...

The news spread throughout the village immediately, with villagers showering their chiefs with blessings and gifts to celebrate.

Initially, Moana struggled with adapting to the changes her body was undergoing. She was lethargic, dizzy, and nauseous for most of the start of her pregnancy, and so as a result, she was resting more often, leaving Keoni to have to deal with the more challenging village problems that she usually handled.

But, as the pregnancy moved forward, the initial symptoms Moana experienced began to mellow out, no longer experiencing them at their initial intensity. She still dealt with periodical nausea, but it didn't linger for as long as it did before.

It had become a nightly ritual for the anticipatory parents to go to the shoreline and soak in the cool ocean water before bed, as it aided in relieving her nausea, but also relieved her from the growing weight of the baby, which had decided that her rib cage was the perfect spot to nestle in.

And the first time the baby moved was in the middle of the night, waking Moana, who was initially unsure as to why she woke up at some odd hour of the night; but upon gazing at her growing belly, she saw the movement, mainly around her belly button. She was utterly still as she took in the moment, eyes wide and teary. The baby was healthy and lively as it grew. She placed her hand on her stomach, rubbing in slow circles, which was followed by what she guessed to be a hand reaching out from within.

Moana then decided to wake Keoni, as she didn't want him to miss the moment.

"Keoni." She whispered, gently nudging him. He didn't stir immediately, so it took a couple more tries before he finally woke up, groggy and confused.

"Mo...? What is it?" He mumbled, twisting to face her. In his barely half-awake state, he saw the tears in her eyes, and suddenly, he was much more awake, "is something wrong?" She wordlessly took his hand and placed it on her belly, and the air was still as she waited for the baby to move again, and sure enough, it did. His eyes widened as well as he processed the situation, suddenly feeling emotional as tears also welled up in his eyes.

There were no words that either of them could properly express now knowing their baby was moving. He brought her close to him, her head resting in the crook of his neck, their hands resting on her stomach, the two of them saying hello back to their unborn child. That morning, Moana shared the news with the family, to which Pania immediately had to feel her cousin's stomach. It took a moment, but she felt it too.

"Oh my gods..." She whispered in awe.

Tui remained quiet, but his way of expressing his joy for his daughter did not go unnoticed. He offered a short stroll with her, his way of bonding.

He led her up the trail to the Stone Tower, both standing on opposite sides of the tower. Moana closed her eyes, feeling the floral, salty breeze caress her face and softly blow her hair. It was comforting, and although she loved being at sea and feeling the ocean breeze, she did miss the smell of the flowers and other flora native to Motunui.

"Moana." Her father spoke up.

"Hm?" She turned to him, seeing his face stern but not unkind.

"I know that I've been distant from you in the past few years from your voyaging, but I do want you to know that I am always here for you. You're my only daughter, and I'm here to support your chiefdom." He said, placing a hand on her shoulder, "And I am ecstatic, as well as your mother, to see you and Keoni welcome your own child. I'm so proud of you."

Tearfully, Moana went to hug her father, maneuvering to not squish her belly.

"Thank you, Dad, I know. That means a lot to me. And to Keoni as well."

After talking a bit more together, they returned to the village so Moana could rest.

As they settled in for bed, Tui couldn't help but feel restless, his faze fixed on the chieftain's face not too far away.

"Tui? Come to bed," Sina said. He made a soft grunt in response, which prompted her to join his side.

"What's on your mind?" She questioned. He leaned against a pillar, crossing his thick arms.

"Thinking about the kind of mother our daughter will become. What our grandchild will be like." Sina hummed, resting her head against his arm.

"One way or another, they will be a lot like Moana. They will have her spirit, her tenacity." Tui chuckled.

"That they will. Though I am sure we will see Keoni shine through as well.

"They will be the best of both of them."