Chapter 35

Moana's instincts proved true a year later, not long after Laeli's 18th birthday when she finally told the family what her dream was — set sail from Motunui, lead a crew of her own over the great ocean, and explore the world.

This revelation was a surprise to many, but not all. While Moana had anticipated this, it was still a bit of a shock to hear it come from her daughter. Keoni was rather apprehensive at first, unsure about the idea of his daughter leaving Motunui.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" He questioned, receiving a confident nod in return.

"I'm sure, Dad. I've been thinking about this for a while."

"For how long?"

"A while." With a deep breath, Laeli unveiled the ideas she had been contemplating for quite some time, particularly on how the stories of her mother's voyages inspired her, "I know what I'll be giving up, and it's something I accept. Besides, I strongly believe Aihe can lead our people just fine." Moana was understandably quite touched by how much she'd inspired her daughter, and believed that Laeli was capable of great things. That said, Moana also knew that the idea of Laeli leaving Motunui would be a challenge for Keoni and Aihe especially to accept.

Just the mere suggestion of Laeli departing made Keoni anxious. Of course, he was supportive of what his daughter wanted, but she was his oldest child, and letting her go would be painful. But he saw the gleam in her eye as she gushed about all the possibilities of what would be out there, what the rest of the world had to offer. She even suggested venturing north, as Moana hadn't yet ventured that far during her voyages.

"Wait so... I'm going to be chief now?" Aihe said, her brown eyes wide.

"You will. We will still need to discuss with the council on the line of ascension, though." Moana remarked.

Needless to say, the council had opinions when they were informed of Laeli's decision. They didn't know what to think with the heir just up and leaving.

"I'm not up-and-leaving," Laeli argued, "I've thought long and hard about this, what my departure will mean for Motunui. I know it'll be hard, not just for my family, but for myself too. I know what was -and still is- expected of me, but this is my choice. My sister will be an excellent leader when she's old enough; my parents and grandparents will provide her with counsel and guidance as needed. She has our cousins and extended family, and the whole island too. I have planned out my voyages and who will accompany me. I have discussed this plan with them and they're on board as well."

Hesitantly, the council requested a timeline of Laeli's voyage and what she intended to accomplish. Her first remark surprised everyone, especially her father and aunt.

"I intend to visit my father and aunt's birth island and see where half of my heritage comes from. It could be an opportunity to plant roots there and rebuild a new community there, extend our reach and allies. From all the stories my sister and I grew up hearing, it is my right to seek it out." Keoni nodded in acknowledgment, agreeing that she did have that right. As he recovered from the initial shock, he gave her his blessing, as did Huihana.

"My hope is that our father's spirit will guide you safely to its shores," Huihana said with a sad half-smile.

With that settled, Laeli was then questioned on journeying north and what she hoped to find.

"From the visitors from the other islands, my mother forged connections with, I've heard many stories about other islands and tribes that know of lands far to the west, and far far to the east as well. I want to explore the opportunities there and see what we can learn from them. There's no harm in seeking them out.