Chapter 33

When Laeli was about six months old, Pania and Akamu were finally married themselves, and other cousins of Moana also followed, and started families as well. Huihana would later give birth to a healthy baby girl when Laeli was about two, naming her newborn, Siale.

In the years following, Laeli grew up, and just as her grandparents anticipated, she proved to have her mother's tenacity — strong-willed, opinionated, and incredibly smart. That said, she also developed similar habits to her father, often quite shy around crowds and not always enjoying attention.

And shortly after Laeli's fourth birthday, it was revealed that Moana was with child again. The whole family was ecstatic, and even Laeli was eager to become an older sister. It wasn't long before Alaula predicted the new baby would be another girl, which further excited Laeli and her parents. Though, of course, the council did make a few comments regarding the possibility of the new hero being a boy, but Moana would not have it.

However, a month before Moana's expected due date, something went wrong.

She started feeling painful contractions that were reminiscent of her labor with Laeli. But it was far too soon for her to deliver, yet the contractions did not ease up. The situation became more severe when Moana began to bleed. That was enough for Alaula to realize that Moana was about to give birth prematurely, and despite her best efforts, there was nothing she could do to prevent it.

Alaula and her assistants summoned Keoni into the fale, informing him that the birth was imminent and they needed to prepare now, otherwise Moana would be at risk of stillbirth.

Keoni had been relaxed and calm during Laeli's birth, but for the birth of his second child, he was experiencing quite the opposite, understandably. Sina and Huihana were also beckoned and informed of what was happening.

Alaula did her best to quell the growing panic by giving orders on what everyone needed to do to prepare for a premature birth. She had only aided in two premature births before, thankfully with both infants surviving, and she prayed to the gods that this baby would as well, given that it was the chief's second child.

Moana was instructed accordingly, laying on the woven mat, her face contorted with pain as she gripped Keoni's hand tightly. This was not how it was supposed to happen. Not a month early. Not now.

Keoni's brow furrowed with worry as he watched his beloved wife struggle. The dim light from the flickering fire cast shadows across the room, emphasizing the tension that hung thick in the air. He had never felt so helpless, so utterly lost. He did what he could, whispering comforting words in her ear, reminding her of her strength.

She would deliver a healthy baby — he refused to accept otherwise. He didn't care if it was a boy or a girl, he just wanted to hear that cry.

Outside, Laeli waited with her family, distracted by Pania and Akamu. Yet, Laeli knew something was wrong with her mother and the baby, but no one would tell her anything, and Tui was doing his best to assure the village that Moana was in good hands and that there was nothing to worry about. It was all good thing Maui wasn't currently present, as Tui knew the Demi-god would've forced his way into the fale himself, which would have made the situation worse and not beneficial for Moana's sake, even if he meant well.

Inside, Moana struggled as tears slipped down her cheeks as she reacted to the agonizing pain she endured. She feared for her unborn child; son, or daughter, praying to Te Fiti, Fetia, or any other god that was listening to allow her child to live; and to come into the world healthy despite the imminent risks. She trusted Alaula and her assistants to do whatever they could to ensure both mother and child made it through.

Unable to hold back her cry as she felt her child finally enter the world, there should've been a second cry. But the air was now still and silent as Keoni held her close, kissing her forehead as Alaula cradled the tiniest newborn Moana had ever seen in her arms, carefully cutting the cord, and began rubbing the newborn's chest in an attempt to get the child to stir.

Alaula gestured for an assistant to fetch something and gave her a hollow reed. Focused, Alaula gently inserted one end of the reed into the newborn's nose and sucked, repeating the action on the other nostril. Then she opened the newborn's mouth and blew down its throat.

She repeated the actions of rubbing the chest and breathing into the newborn several times as Moana, Keoni, Sina, and Huihana watched and prayed with bated breath.

Until at last, a gasping, shrill cry filled the air, assuring all that the baby was alive and ready to fight.

Unable to hold back a few tears of relief, Alaula quickly bathed the tiny newborn and wrapped it up, handing the bundle to the anticipatory parents.

"It's a girl!" She said.

"Oh, thank the gods!" Sina exclaimed tearfully as she brought her daughter and newborn granddaughter for a tight hug, utterly grateful they both made it.

"Mahalo, Alaula, mahalo..." Keoni said.

It took a few days to name the newborn baby girl as Moana recovered and regained her strength, but she and Keoni agreed on the name, Aihe, in honor of Keoni's father. The couple also agreed on no more children after this ordeal. Luckily, Laeli had been kept in the dark about the difficult birth, at least for now; but her waiting was finally rewarded with a little sister.

Despite her being so tiny, Aihe proved to be a fighter, even if it meant Moana and Keoni lost more sleep over her, but it was worth it, having her healthy and alive, they were beyond grateful she survived the traumatic birth. Laeli hardly left her sister's side and was fiercely protective of her, not liking random adults wanting to see or hold her sister.

In her first three months, Aihe grew rapidly, quickly putting on the weight of a full-term baby her age would normally have, impressing Alaula. That said, she was a little behind on other milestones, but Alaula was not terribly concerned, as sometimes babies could rapidly hit milestones all at once. Each baby was different and learned things at their own pace, which Moana accepted, as Laeli learned to walk much later than her older twin cousins had at roughly the same age.

As Aihe began to catch up on her growth, both Moana and Keoni agreed that their family was perfect; no more children for them.