Chapter 12

When night fell, Lawai'a was seen gazing up at the sky, his luminous blue figure a stark contrast from the inkiness of the ocean and sky, seemingly blending into one.

While Keoni rested, Moana joined Lawai'a's side, watching the sky with him. Stopping next to him, a brilliant meteor streaked across the sky, and Lawai'a closed his eyes, seemingly making a silent wish only the gods and stars could hear.

"Y'know, I never really thought about asking my gramma when she sometimes visits..." Moana began, sensing Lawai'a turning to her, "but I've always wondered, and I know others have too... but, what's up there? What awaits us after death?" A smile crossed Lawai'a's face as he contemplated an answer, once having that very question himself.

It's... difficult to both describe... and explain. Once our spirit has left our body... some wander eternally. Others, follow the call of the ancestors. We are welcomed by our ancestors and the very gods we would pray to. The sky is not blue, but a vast expanse of endless space... it is neither night nor day... And we are surrounded by the people and things that brought us joy in life. Seeing families reunited is something no words can describe. We dance, sing, and celebrate alongside our gods and deities.

"It's a celebration of having lived."

Exactly. No matter how short or how long you lived, whether you suffered any ailment or not, you are honored and celebrated.

Moana pondered his words; she never really feared death, but knowing that there was something to look forward to once her soul left the physical world, it was like a deep-rooted anxiety had been banished from her mind. She could meet the long line of voyagers that came before her, and from there, she could watch what the future would bring her future children and those that rose in line.

A haunting yet oddly comforting thought to have.

"If you don't mind me asking... what ever became of Keoni's mother and sister?"

His sister is alive and well, and looking for him, though I genuinely do not know where she could be. I kept my focus on ensuring my son lived and eventually got off the island. As for my beloved wife, she has remained out of reach as well. I have not seen her join me in the spirit realm, nor do I know where she could be here.

Moana couldn't help but frown. She had kinda, sorta expected Lawai'a to know something, at the very least his own daughter. But she also understood Lawai'a's need to watch over Keoni. So it really was up to her and Keoni to find his mother and sister.

I know it wasn't the answer you were expecting. But spirits do not always have the answer to every question. That... is a task for the gods. Lawai'a reminded gently. All Moana could do was give him a half-frown of acknowledgment. As Lawai'a made his way back to the shore, Keoni stirred awake just in time.

"Dad? Where are you going?"

Don't worry, you'll see me again. The spirit assured. With a few steps into the lapping waves, Lawai'a's spiritual body dissolved into the water below, swirling about in glowing blue ribbons as he transformed back into his dolphin form. Keoni kept his eye on the dolphin as it swam about in a few circles before swimming further out to sea and eventually disappearing into the night.

The night was still as Moana and Keoni stood on the shore, staring at the endless void of ocean and night.

Moana turned to her friend and saw the reflection of a tear slipping down his cheek. She didn't need him to explain what was going through his mind. Wordlessly, she helped him sit down on the cool sand and comforted him, allowing his tears to fall.

He sniffed, harshly streaking tears across his red, flustered cheeks, he mumbled out an apology.

"I'm... I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"... It's dumb... but for crying... easily..." He said. Moana just shook her head.

"Why apologize? There's nothing to apologize for." She assured, "Keoni, you've been through so much. With everything that's happened in the ast two years, it's okay to be emotional." She leaned a little closer to him, and he could read the sincerity in her eyes.

"I'd be way more worried if you weren't visibly upset, honestly." With another sniff and a wipe of his nose, he glanced at her from the corner of his eye.

"So... you don't think I'm too sensitive?"

"Not at all. I'm glad you're talking to me about it, actually. Talking through your feelings helps to rationalize and focus. At least that's what my Gramma used to tell me."

"Your gramma sounds wise,"

"Your dad is as well. He gave me a lot to think about." Neither was paying attention to how physically close they were, mere inches apart. As they gazed at each other, it seemed like a mental bond was created, and Moana leaned forward, surprising Keoni a bit as she pressed her forehead and nose to his– sharing hongi with him for the first time.

He accepted the gesture, feeling calmness wash over him in the moment.

Then, it was like a fire was blown out around them.

Moana and Keoni both opened their eyes, visibly confused as to what just happened. Everything seemed... darker. Like they were in a very dimly lit cave. Gazing up, Moana was horrified to see that more stars were gone. Making the sky appear dark and extremely bleak. No comforting twinkles of starlight.

As Moana frantically scanned the sky, Keoni caught sight of something over the horizon. It was in the approximate direction his father's spirit animal had left in. Much to his surprise, it was like clusters of stars had formed into large individual balls of light. And each ball of light was organized in a specific fashion.

He connected the stars in his head, and silently realized what he was looking at. He aggressively nudged Moana, pointing to what he was looking at.

"You've gotta be kidding me." She said.

It was a constellation of a star. Stretching across the horizon, and within the constellation, something glowed brilliantly.

"In all my years..." Moana gaped, "I've never seen anything like that."

"It's calling us." Was all Keoni could say. Exchanging a look, they immediately packed up and departed the island, eager to see where the stars were guiding them.