Chapter 19

For approximately two weeks following their return to Motunui, Moana barely saw Keoni, if at all, as she eased back into her duties as acting chief. She didn't forget about him, promising herself she would visit him once she had a spare moment for herself.

Luckily for her, today would be that day.

After a couple of hours helping some farmers survey some new farmland, Moana headed towards the healer's fale, eager to see her friend.

She did get sidetracked by a few villagers stopping her to ask questions or just have a friendly chat, but finally, she arrived at the healer's fale. Upon approaching the front steps, she could hear some casual chatter inside. She parted the tapa curtain aside, gently knocking on a wooden pillar.

Inside, Keoni was sitting cross-legged as Alaula worked on his shoulder, a variety of wooden and bone instruments nearby, along with medicinal plants and a coconut bowl filled with water. The healer looked up when she noticed the curtain parted to the side, a wide smile on her face.

"Ah! Chief Moana! Come come! Onosaʻi, please fetch Moana a mat," The healer directed one of her assistants.

"Thank you, Alaula." Onosaʻi returned with a mat and set it across from Keoni and Moana took a seat.

Despite Moana's presence before him, Keoni remained quiet, grimacing slightly as Alaula worked on stitching up his back.

"So, how is the shoulder doing?" Moana asked, mainly directing the question to Keoni, but also to Alaula, who happily informed the young chief that the shoulder was healing quite nicely.

"Despite your inexperience with treating major wounds, I must commend you for what you were able to do with limited resources," Alaula smiled, "the stitching was a bit sloppy, but not bad. I know you mentioned Maui had apparently set his shoulder back in, though it was a bit rough. So we properly set it back, and readjusted the sling." Moana nodded.

"All that said, it is going to take quite some time for everything to heal, though I worry there may be further fractures that I myself cannot feel for."

"So... what're you saying?"

"What I'm saying is that even with all the time he needs to heal, and with everything being properly set, Keoni will not have complete movement in his shoulder again. Once I'm certain most of the bone has fused back together, and the wound has mostly healed, we will move forward with physical therapy to help him retain as much movement as possible. But he will not have complete function or use of it again in the future."

Oh.

Moana's face visibly fell as she processed Alaula's prognosis for Keoni. The guilt ate away at her, knowing it was her fault Keoni would never have complete use over his left arm again. No wonder he was so quiet.

"Keoni, I-" He held up his right hand, motioning her to stop.

"Don't. I don't need your sympathy, it is what it is." He replied firmly, barely concealing the slight shakiness. Moana blinked, surprised by the tone.

She glanced up at Alaula and Onosa'i, both of whom bore tightened expressions. Onosa'i shrugged, unsure of what to say.

Deciding her visit was over, Moana stood and began to exit the fale, Onosa'i walking with her. The assistant closed the tapa curtain behind her.

"Moana," Onosa'i said. Moana turned to her from the bottom of the short staircase, "Do not take offense to Keoni's attitude. He is exhausted and stressed from all the changes going on. He needs time and the space to readjust." Moana nodded, fighting the tightness in her throat.