Chapter 27

It did not take long after Huihana's wedding and Moana and Keoni's engagement that it was announced that Huihana was pregnant.

To say that Keoni was rather taken aback by this news was an understatement, having not entirely expected his sister to start a family so soon. But he kept his opinions to himself.

About halfway through her pregnancy, Alaula had determined, based on the shape of Huihana's stomach that she was not just carrying a son, but possibly twin sons. That took everyone by surprise, as twin births were extremely uncommon, and did not always carry the most positive outcome for either the fetuses or the mother, especially during birth.

Alaula warned of old wives' tales that encouraged as much positivity as applicable during the pregnancy, as well as the proper diet needed to keep her and her baby(s) healthy. She was confident that Huihana would have a smooth pregnancy, but she might deliver early, depending on if her prediction was accurate, and she remarked she had never had an inaccurate gender prediction before.

With preparation plans set, it was now just helping Huihana through her pregnancy. At first, the first half was smooth, but the second half was rougher on her once the fetus(s) started moving and kicking, and she often felt feet right up into her ribs.

She became rather cranky in the latter half, and she struggled with the notion of being as positive as she could. She did her best to cope but was so exhausted that she had little motivation to do anything besides eat, sleep, and do some self-care.

Eventually, she went into labor. Upon being informed of the news, Keoni thought about his interpretation of birth being the water breaking and the mother being rushed away to give birth in private. But given the little exposure he had to the miracle of life, he didn't know what to think, and he expressed his thoughts to Moana.

"It's... more nuanced than that," she tried to explain, "sure, the goal is the same, but giving birth is different for every woman, and requires unique comforts, especially once the baby is born."

"Huh."

Moana had offered to be present for the birth, but Huihana had (mostly) politely declined her offer, only allowing Enele and her mother and sister-in-law to be there, which Moana did not mind, respecting Huihana's choice. She could spend time with Keoni while they waited.

Many hours later, Enele's mother, Kalei, stepped out with a huge smile on her face, her attention on the young couple, who had just returned from a walk on the beach together.

"How is she?"

"Come see," the woman beckoned, pushing the tapa curtain aside, and letting them in.

The fale was dimly lit, and the sounds of soft cooing met Keoni and Moana's ears. Keoni spied his sister propped up against Enele, each carrying a lightly wrapped bundle in their arms.

"Huihana?" He quietly called to his sister. Hearing her name, she achingly sat up, her long hair loose and messy, a few strands sticking to her forehead and shoulders. A light sheen of sweat glistening on her collarbone and upper chest. Even her cheeks were flushed red. A little leg kicked up from the tapa blanket, which practically invited Keoni by his sister's side, curious to meet his little niece or nephew.

"Come meet your nephews," Huihana introduced, an exhausted half-smile crossing her features.

"So, twins, huh?" Both Huihana and Enele nodded. The latter offered Keoni to hold one of the babies, and Keoni accepted, though feeling awkward holding a baby, no less a newborn, who felt incredibly fragile.

"Who was first?" He inquired, not that it really mattered, but he was curious. Huihana gestured to the newborn she held.

"This little one came first. His brother was breech, so he had to be readjusted." Keoni exhaled through his mouth. He didn't quite understand how serious that was, but he sort of understood that it was not a good time for his sister to have experienced.

Keoni did recognize how exhausted his sister was, and now was not the time for too many questions. She needed space to recover, regain her strength, and adjust to motherhood.

"I'm really happy for you both," He said, rubbing Huihana's shoulder, "I'm ready to help with the little ones if needed."

"I know... thank you." She replied.

Off to the side, Moana observed the tender scene, feeling the flutter in her stomach. She swallowed a tight ball of something akin to anticipation in her throat, though the random bout of tension eased when Keoni made his way back to her, and they exited the fale back into the bright light of day.

"How do you feel?" She questioned after they'd been walking for a few minutes.

"Weird, but in a good way. Can't believe I'm an uncle already!" He laughed, a tone of disbelief evident in his voice.

"It's exciting!"

During the following month as Huihana recovered from the birth and was extensively cared for, the preparations for Moana and Keoni's wedding were officially underway, with a beautiful dress being made for the young chief. Decorations were meticulously crafted, from the patterns on the tapa to the flowers for the leis and flower crowns, down to the shell and bead jewelry.

While Moana was overjoyed that her wedding was being planned, she was still overwhelmed with it all. Her childhood friends were constantly gushing over her, offering various ideas and suggestions for how things ought to look.

One cousin suggested a ceremony to honor Tangaroa and Te Fiji, for having blessed Moana in the past, and of course, into the future as well. And somehow, Moana hadn't even thought about a ceremony for the gods, but it was a lovely idea that resonated with her, and so it was agreed upon.

Moana then requested Pania to blow the Pū shell to start the main ceremony, and she was incredibly honored, as it was not custom for women to blow it. But that said, Moana had brought much positive change to Motunui, and blowing the Pū shell tradition would be no different.

One evening, Moana decided to have some time to herself, just for a couple of hours. She made her way down to the spot on a lava rock outcropping where she and Gramma Tala used to dance together with the waves. Upon allowing herself to sway her body and shift her feet, she felt the weight of stress melt away, her breathing slowing to a natural pace as she focused on her movements and the sound of the waves at her feet.

While Gramma Tala no longer visited in spirit now that she was bound to her spirit animal, Moana could still sense her presence nearby.

"There is nowhere you could go that I won't be with you." Her words echoed in Moana's memory.

She dearly wished her gramma could be here to see her get married, but she also knew that in a way, she was, and she was watching her, guiding her in the right direction, and assuring her that things would work out the way they're meant to.