Chapter 13

Moana had been planning on formally teaching Keoni how to wayfind, but it seemed he was just as distracted as her in following the star-shaped constellation. He gripped the mast with his good arm, gaze locked on the horizon. She could faintly hear him whispering something to himself over the sound of the crashing waves around them, though could not make out his words.

Her mind began to wander about what would entail in Keoni's healing process. Even though they were nowhere near close to that step in their journey together, Moana still began to plan out how she'd handle Keoni's reassimilation into village life. Of course, that would depend on the status of Keoni's sister, if she was alive or not.

Either way, she wanted to have mostly direct handling of helping Keoni. Finding him a new place to live, a role in the village, and of course, having the village healer to care for his physical and mental health. Sure, it would be a lot more on her plate, but she didn't mind; it was what she wanted. She wanted to help Keoni; she wanted to be involved in his life as a friend and as chief.

Her desire to be with him every step of the way left her with a fluttery feeling in her chest, though she couldn't quite pinpoint whether it was nervousness, excitement, or something of both.

Then her focus was broken by an echoey screech overhead. Craning her neck up, she spied Maui's hawk form, swooping down toward the canoe. Keoni ducked and stumbled back as Maui every so gracefully flew by the canoe, rocking it slightly with the force of wind left in his wake, and then landed on the starboard end of the canoe.

"Maui!"

"What's going on?" Keoni asked. Maui wordlessly made his way to Moana, gesturing his request to take over the oar. Moana gave it to him, although still confused by Maui's expression.

"Care to explain the look on your face?"

"I'm getting you to Fetia faster," Maui explained with a determined look, eyes focused on the constellation up ahead. Moana and Keoni glanced at each other, both of them wary of the situation.

"Is there something we should know?"

"It'll be explained when we get there." Maui finished.

Moana knew better than to argue with the demigod, so she just pulled Keoni a couple of feet over away to give Maui space.

"Don't mind him," she assured, "he has his reasons." Keoni just shrugged, his dark brown eyes scanning the sky. She couldn't read the look on his face, almost wistful, maybe? Her eyes followed the direction he was looking, and a shooting star streaked across the sky. Keoni closed his eyes, appearing to make a wish, and Moana did the same.

She wished for Keoni to have stability and happiness in life in whatever form it came.

For some time, the sky and ocean remained the same, the horizon blending them together into one vast expanse of darkness with a brilliantly glowing constellation of a star beckoning them further and further into what felt like an entirely different realm.

Eventually, Moana noticed that the ocean began to brighten in color. No longer an empty void below her, the blue became brighter and more brilliant, shifting into a shade of blue, not unlike the shores of Motunui. Fascinated, she dipped her hand into the water, surprised to feel it become warmer and warmer. Then, she noticed the twinkling and sparkling.

It was like pure starlight had fallen into the water. And soon, ribbons of glimmering starlight streaked through the brilliant blue. Moana couldn't find the words to describe how magnificent the sight was. Then, a bright silvery light caught her eye. Shielding herself from the intensity of the light, she saw what seemed to be a beacon not too far up ahead.

It was an island.

As the canoe rapidly approached, Moana noticed that this island appeared to be in the shape of a star, and not only that, looked to be made of pure starlight as well.

Still speechless as the canoe finally docked on the island, Moana immediately jumped off and was surprised that the island ground felt like the smoothest sand she'd ever walked on. The 'sand' was stardust. Primarily silver in color, it reflected bright blues, greens, pinks, and yellows, practically making its own rainbow without rain.

The stardust stuck to her skin, making her legs and feet sparkle.

Keoni had a huge smile on his face seeing her be fascinated by the stardust, and she noticed.

"You look beautiful bathed in starlight like that," he couldn't help but admit. He saw the color rapidly creep onto her cheeks, making her appear even more ethereal. And at the same time, he was equally entranced by this little island. It wasn't very big, maybe no wider than the chief's fale. It bore no trees or any kind of vegetation. Then again, what would grow in such an unusual place like this? Nothing earthly, he concluded.

He bent down, scooping some of the stardust in his hand, observing the little grains as they practically glowed in his hand, standing out prominently from the creases of his palm.

Understandably, he was overwhelmed with the reality of this journey. Everything that he initially believed about the world was profoundly challenged thanks to Moana, opening his eyes to the world that Te Fiti had created for them.

It was all so extraordinary, yet he himself still felt... ordinary, especially compared to Moana.

To him, she was a living example of being blessed by the gods. Being chosen to restore the heart of a goddess, and then getting to stand in that goddess's hand, and receiving yet another blessing.

How could he possibly compare to her?

Then, from the corner of his eye, he saw something bright and glowy manifest out of seemingly nowhere. He hurriedly approached Moana's side, unsure of what was happening. Even Maui put his hook down.

To Keoni's utter amazement, a figure began to form from the glowing light. As the figure materialized, he began to make out the faint features of a face. And already... the face seemed familiar, but he did not know why.

In one last burst of light and stardust, the figure finally appeared. It was a woman, a goddess... Fetia.

She had pure white hair pulled into a topknot, the curl texture in her hair still evident. Her Ta Moko, shoulder and wrist tattoos were a stark white contrast to her dark skin. She wore a long white halter dress decorated with various star motifs and designs. And around her waist was a belt that Keoni assumed to be made of strands of intricately woven starlight, somehow.

And her dark skin had this ethereal inner glow; it was like she was framed by the stars with every movement, every breath she took.

Then she opened her eyes, and he was a bit startled to see that her eyes were as white as her sclera. Yet her pupils remained normal. Still human.

She was quite the stunning figure, and yet, there was still that nagging feeling of familiarity.

The specific design of her tattoos. Where had he seen them before?

Fetia smiled at him, her hands delicately clasped in front, and she watched him closely. She made her way to him, that gentle smile still in place. He froze when she cupped his cheek in her palm, and that loving, warm touch was when he realized why she was so familiar, why her presence exuded kindness and comfort.

"...Mom?" He choked out. He could see tears beginning to well up as she slowly nodded.

Yes, my son.

Her voice. Oh, gods above. It was her!