Chapter 28

Following the remainder of the wedding preparation, everything was finally completed. And lo and behold, Maui arrived!

Moana had given a message to Ocean to let Maui know that the wedding would be underway in a few days and that his presence would mean the world to her. And when the Demi-God arrived, Moana nearly cried tears of joy that her best friend had come.

"I wouldn't miss my best friend's wedding!" He exclaimed. Maui also gave Keoni a hearty greeting, giving him a tight hug and a friendly pat on the back, sure to avoid the left side. However, the Demi-God did have to remark on the scar.

"You've got quite the story to tell yours and Curly's kids," he grinned, to which Keoni just scoffed.

"Not wrong on that."

A couple of days following Maui's arrival, the big day had finally come, the village lively with chatter and gossip.

In the chief's fale, Moana was fitted into her dress, a stunning creamy white ankle-length dress decorated with linear-type patterns in black and red ink. The top half had more floral-type patterns with shell beading. And on her waist was a raffia belt, the ends dyed red.

Her hair was combed through and styled, her flower crown of red hibiscus intricately woven into her hair to secure it in place. Then a cousin tapped the tiniest bit of red powder on her cheeks, and she was done.

Sina, Pania, Huihana, and a few select female relatives then retreated a few steps to admire the royal bride.

"You look stunning, my little minnow," Sina gushed, sharing hongi with her daughter.

"Mahalo, mom." She replied, hugging her mother tightly.

"Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Upon Moana's word, Sina brought her out so all the matai could take part in the Saofa'i, a ritual to recognize the status of Moana and her family but to also exchange gifts and bestow Keoni with his new title as chief of Motunui.

Even before seeing him, Moana knew that Keoni would be a nervous wreck. But upon laying her eyes on him as they all gathered in the official meeting fale, she observed him handling himself well. His head and chest were held high, shoulders squared and set. He wore a lavalava that mirrored the color and design of her dress, with his belt decorated with red feathers. She didn't know how to put it into words, but he somehow looked taller. Like a different man. A man prepared to become chief.

With everyone seated accordingly, Moana now sitting where her father used to, Keoni immediately to her right, Tui to her left, and her mother next to him, with the elders surrounding them on each side, the crowd of other council members behind them, and the rest of the village in observance, the ceremony could begin.

The ceremony was a bit emotional on behalf of Moana and Tui, as now, the latter was formally and officially passing on his title to his daughter and son-in-law, as the official chieftains of Motunui in the presence of the elders, all of whom approved. Moana would have more authority than Keoni though, as she was born into the role. But both knew that Keoni did not mind that, and was ready to support his new wife.

Tui then presented Moana and Keoni with special red seed necklaces, that signified Tui's acknowledgment of the couple and the hard work they'd done to earn his matai, and also claimed Keoni as his 'son'.

Finally came the Kava ceremony, where all parties drank Kava, bringing the matai ceremony to a close.

With that step completed, then came the official wedding itself, and the vows.

For Keoni, it was all a blur, with so much to take in, now that he had an official matai. He was officially named the chief of Motunui with Moana. He couldn't quite believe it, though he had to remain level-headed and focused as Pania blew the Pū shell to begin the wedding ceremony. As the couple completed their vows, the priest called upon Laka to bless their union to be a fruitful one.

With vows of promise exchanged, offerings to Te Fiti, Tangaroa, and Fetia (at Keoni's request) were given, thus, bringing the wedding to an end. Moana gazed up at Keoni, her cheeks practically glowing with excitement as she shared Hongi with her new husband, and kissed him.

And what was a Motunuian wedding without a feast and celebration?

The village relocated back to the front of the meeting fale, where spots for feasting were prepared, and torches were lit as the sun began to set.

It had been a long day, but a joyous success for everyone.

The villagers celebrated alongside their new chiefs, honoring them with dance and food. But the best part for both the husband and wife was seeing the other perform their respective dances specifically meant for weddings. Keoni had never been much of a dancer, but he respected the expectation of his role and given it was for Moana, he had zero qualms performing for her.

He had spied Pania playfully nudging her cousin, waggling her eyebrows, causing Moana to playfully shove her away and whisper something, the both of them giggling. He knew it was about him, but he paid it no mind, happy his wife was enjoying herself.

Keoni was also ecstatic that his sister brought his nephews to take part in the festivities. They were still little, but their presence meant the world to him.

Both Moana and Keoni held them, expressing their gratitude to Huihana and Enele for sharing the day with them.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. Seeing my little brother finally married, and now chief!"

"You can say that again!" Maui said, coming up to the couple from behind.

Moana and Keoni handed the twins back to their parents to chat with Maui, who took a seat with them on the soft grass, illuminated by torchlight.

"Thank you again, Maui, for everything." The Demi-god chuckled.

"You don't have to thank me, as nice as it is to hear," he playfully winked. "That said, it's neat to see how humans have developed their ceremonies and stuff."

"I take it you liked being honored earlier?" Keoni teased, to which the demi-god responded by sassily tossing his luscious curly hair, making the couple laugh.

"What god doesn't like being honored? But I think it makes it better that I can physically be here."

"Can't argue with that."

"So, Keoni. How's it feel being married to the Chosen One?" Maui inquired, pulling Moana close, and squishing her against his side. Keoni rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

"No different than if I had married her even if she wasn't the Chosen One," he replied with a smirk, "she's Moana, no matter what." Moana couldn't help but grin widely at that, touched that Keoni didn't matter whether the Ocean had chosen her.

Maui was then summoned by a horde of village children to perform shapeshifting tricks for them. And so with him distracted, Moana and Keoni rejoined her family, the latter becoming aware of how exhausted he was.

"Dunno how much longer I can last," he said, resisting the urge to yawn.

"Mm? Not up for the consummation?" She quirked a teasing eyebrow, already knowing the answer.

"Mm... as tempting as that sounds..." He whispered against her ear, lips brushing her neck ever so slightly, "I'd rather wait till I have the full drive to do so," He ended his sentence with a quick, firm kiss right below her ear, leaving her with a slight shudder as she thought about it.

"I can live with that. But, I am eager to see all of you," she replied, "experience all of you."

"I know me too. But you'll have to be patient for a bit longer." He assured with a slight grin.

The anticipation of their first time together began to drive Moana insane with all the possibilities. She'd seen him naked once, purely by accident after he'd taken a bath. But she was more about waiting for the right time, and she didn't mind it, already knowing that it would be a wonderful experience for them both when the time was right.