Chapter 23

Just as intended, the next morning, a little while after breakfast, Moana called for her cousin. The two went on a walk to a quieter part of the village where she divulged her thoughts, becoming a bit animated as she expressed her feelings.

In watching her cousin talk, Pania felt quite excited, having not seen Moana express this much passion for someone before. Oh, Moana was so in love, and it was a good thing Moana came to her first, as Maui would be singing this news from the rooftops, he would not be quiet about it.

"So what's the plan then?" Pania questioned, receiving a blank stare from Moana.

"I uh... uh..." Moana tried to respond but was coming up with nothing. Pania raised a brow, crossing her arms.

"All that talk of a hopeful future with Keoni and you haven't even planned the steps for it?" Moana just awkwardly smiled, interlocking her fingers together, and shrugged.

"All I know is that I want to take it slow... be casual about it, I guess,"

"Seems reasonable. What about the council?"

"I... haven't thought that completely through, yet." Moana wouldn't admit it yet, but she was slightly apprehensive about approaching the council with the prospect of courting Keoni. She was already anticipating the monologue of technicalities they would point out of having Keoni become Moana's partner. Everything he would have to learn and adapt to.

Meanwhile, Keoni had been busying himself with offering to help Tui and Sina if they needed it. He wanted to prove himself to be proactive and interested in chieftain duties, though he hoped that they weren't suspicious of his behavior. Did they know that Moana and Keoni were sort of secretly dating? If they did, did they approve?

Later on, Moana went to catch up with Keoni, finding him gathering wood for the in-ground firepit for Enele's family. She was impressed to see how he was able to work and lift things of various weights even with one good arm, though she did notice that his opposite hand was trying to do the same amount of lifting, but couldn't do so quite yet.

As she approached him, he heard her and his face lit up upon noticing her.

"Moana!" He called. With an equally beaming smile, she joined his side and gave him a hug, pecking his cheek.

"How've you been? I can see you're getting used to lifting heavy stuff again," she pointed out.

"Yup, I've been insisting on helping Enele's family when I can." He replied, setting some wood down on a pile, and wiping his hand on his lavalava, "I've also been offering to help your parents out as well." Moana raised her brows slightly in pleasant surprise.

"Oh! That's so sweet of you, I know they appreciate it." He grinned awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck, and ruffling the nape of his hair.

"I hope so." She took his hand in hers, leading him on a walk.

"I know they do. And actually, I was hoping to tell you something," she caught the brief alarm on his face, but she hurriedly assured him that there was nothing wrong. Seeing him relax, she began to share the thoughts she'd been having recently, omitting that she had discussed her ideas with Pania. She was eager to move forward with their relationship but also understood that they would take baby steps and take it slow.

Keoni was understandably a bit overwhelmed with the prospect, but more so excited that this was something they both wanted.

Additionally, on the topic of positive news, Keoni informed Moana that Alau'a had predicted that his sling would come off within the next two full moon cycles. His shoulder was essentially healed, but there were still precautions to be taken to ensure that there would be little damage. The next step would be physical therapy to bring his arm back to full strength.

He then lifted his right arm, flexing his bicep, to which Moana simply couldn't help but admire. He was putting on a healthy weight with consistent, hearty meals, and she could see how nicely he was filling out.

"I'm so proud of you," she gushed, sharing Hongi with him. He grinned.

"Heh, I'm proud of me too."

The rest of the day played out as normal, with Keoni remaining by Moana's side as she went about her duties, listening intently to how she talked to people, observing her body language, and how she approached different types of issues. He respected her ability to talk to all kinds of people, no matter their attitude. Keoni himself had always struggled socially, especially as a kid; he was quite shy and had difficulty making friends his age. He was practically his sister's second shadow, and when he wasn't following her, he was attached to his mother as well.

He had periodically overheard his mother chatting with her friends about her worrying about Keoni's peer struggles.

"You don't think it has anything to do with Lawai'a's passing?" One friend had questioned, but Tali'au wasn't sure.

"His death had little effect on Huihana's ability to make friends... I do think my son is just... I think that's just how he is..."

Keoni believed his mother's words, no matter how hard he tried, he simply struggled to communicate with other boys his age. Eventually, though, he did manage to form a couple of friendships that lasted into his early teen years, up until the exodus.

He was now back to square one, sort of. He was able to strike up casual acquaintanceships with the fisherman, Lasalo, and a couple of his fishing buddies. And he and Enele had become very good friends; mainly because of Huihana, but there was a genuine friendship there.

And of course, there was Maui as well. The demigod hadn't been by Motunui in a while, but the last time he was here, he and Keoni got along well, which delighted Moana.
That evening, as the sun was setting, Moana took Keoni with her to a lava rock outcropping a short way from the village, where a palm tree extended out, providing a natural bench for the two to sit. It had become a little habit for the two to sneak off for private time together, mainly during the evening when people would be less likely to be searching for Moana or less likely to need her.

Together, they sat on the trunk of the palm, the soft breeze rustling their hair, carrying the sweet scent of the plumeria and hibiscus that bloomed around them. Water was gently lapping against the lava rock below, and the distant crashing of waves over the reef created a soothing atmosphere for the young chief to relax with her partner. And Keoni equally enjoyed the private moments he got with her; dusk had become his favorite time of day, as it was the best opportunity to have alone time with her.
He pulled her close to his side, and she rested her head on his right shoulder, her hair gently blowing in the breeze. Her hand rested on his thigh, feeling the muscle beneath the tapa fabric. She exhaled deeply extending an arm behind his back, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

Grinning, he turned to face her, kissing her lips softly. In response, she lifted her hand to cup his face, grazing her thumb over his cheek. Her fingers felt the angle of his defined jaw and down his neck. His good hand reached around her as well, resting on the small of her back, his pinky and ring finger barely slipping back the top hem of her skirt, feeling more of her soft skin. She hummed in response, which Keoni took as a sign that she liked it.

Feeling bold, he moved his hand down further, but not too far. Just enough that he could take her hip in his hand, gently squeezing the skin, earning a giggle against his lips. Feeling eager, he brought his hand up out of her skirt, stopping just below her top. He considered what his next move was to be, how far was he willing to test her? Was he ready to figure out what kinds of touching she liked? Was she even ready for that kind of move?

Sensing his hesitation, Moana pulled away from the kiss. She watched him closely, parting a loose hair from his eyes.

"It's okay, we'll take it slow." She assured, kissing him again. They shared a few more passionate kisses, sneaking a few longing touches here and there as they watched the sunset in the distance, and the blanket of night cover them.