Chapter 1

A warm breath of southerly wind brought a fleet of canoes towards the welcoming shore of Motunui home. The beaming face of the fleet leader craned her eyes up at the towering mountain in the island's center.

"I'm home... Motunui..." She breathed, her heart racing in her chest as she leaped off the lead canoe into the rolling surf, splashing warm water.

"SHE'S BACK!" Someone cried from within the village. Soon, a crowd of villagers came pouring out from within the village's heart, welcoming their young chief home.

"Chief Moana!" Voices chorused, crowding the young woman.

"Moana!" A pair of certain voices called. Moana lifted her head to see the faces of her mother and father making their way through the crowd, her father, Tui, reached her first and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"My little minnow," her mother, Sina, softly cried.

"I'm home, mom...." Moana breathed, "I'm home!"

For two and a half years, Moana had been away from Motunui. During that gap, Moana brought voyaging back to her community and the surrounding islands. After the first maiden voyage for Motunui's would-be sailors, Tui fell ill and was forced to return to Motunui, his beloved wife, Sina, in tow. There, Tui remained, opting that being on the seas wasn't for him. But he assured Moana that he and Sina would await her return, knowing she would find her way back home.

And she did.

During her extensive expedition, Moana had learned to become a leader in her own way, forging bonds and connections with other islands that had been lost over the centuries during the Darkness. She taught many villages the sacred rituals of voyaging and wayfinding, allowing them to explore the world again.

And all the while, the great Demi-God Maui was revered again after his millennia of isolation. He occasionally accompanied Moana during her visits to other islands, proving her story true; her quest to defeat Te Kā and restore the Heart of Te Fiti.

In a way, Moana became just as revered and honored as Maui. As word spread from island to island, Moana would be greeted with great pomp and celebration, covered in leis, and showered with gifts, being repeatedly thanked for saving the world and countless lives. She remarked to Maui about being completely overwhelmed by it, even though she was now chief and was used to being celebrated, but not in this manner.

Maui, of course, expected it and, quite frankly, welcomed it. Though Moana helped keep his ego in check.

While Moana loved being on the seas and meeting new villages, she was ready to go home and see her loved ones again.

And now she was home. A grown woman now, she had filled out with newly defined muscle, a few small scars here and there, and of course, new tattoos. She was a sight to behold. She had found herself to be the new center of attention for both handsome young men and fine young women, but during her two-and-a-half-year-long expedition, she had no interest or time in finding herself a romantic partner.

She enjoyed the company of Maui and her cousin, Pania, who'd accompanied her on the voyage. The latter had always been close with Moana since they were babies, practically sisters.

Pania had become Moana's second in command, taking her position seriously and happily following Moana's lead. The two had a friendly competition growing up, always keeping each other in check.

Since she was gone, Motunui had grown; there were more homes and farmland, and she could see more fales starting to dot the mountainside. It was absolutely flourishing, and she expected nothing less from her parent's leadership.

It took her a little while to reacclimate herself to village life again, her sea legs still wobbly on dry land. But not long after she regained her land legs, the elders called for her. A council meeting.

It was early in the evening when she made it to the community fale, Pania was right behind her, and Maui waited outside. The elders and her parents were waiting for the two in a circle, her parents at the head. Pania glanced at her cousin, who just shrugged in reply. Once the girls took their seats, the meeting commenced.

At first, it was pretty boring, discussing tribal politics and Moana's new trade routes with other islands. But Moana had a feeling that there was something more than just political discussion.

One elder, Kalei, cleared her throat, bringing the conversation around.

"We are forgetting one last topic of discussion," she pointed out.

"And what would that be?" Moana replied.

"Well, let's preface by discussing your father's eventual retirement," another elder, Atamai, said. Moana raised an eyebrow and shifted her gaze to her father, who gestured for her to pay attention.

"Okay? And what of it?"

"Your parents have expressed concern for your father's health, and it would make things easier for him to retire soon rather than having to wait for someone to take after him. And of course, now that your return has made our decision easier."

"I have no qualms of following in dad's footsteps," Moana said.

"Of course! That being said-"

"We want to acknowledge that you've led our people with strength, wisdom, and kindness, and you've done it well..." there was a slight pause, "but perhaps you should start considering looking for a partner." Moana raised an uninterested eyebrow.

"What?"

"It is for the benefit of the community that the chief has a partner, not just for birthing an heir, but to assist with running the village. We have no doubt you can run the village on your own, but we believe it would be hugely beneficial for you to have someone by your side."

"So you're saying I need to get married?" There was an awkward pause, but Moana already knew the answer. Of course, they wanted her to get married.

"For all those new villages you met with during your voyages, surely there were heirs to those villages, no?"

"I mean... yes. There were. But I went to those villages to form connections and bring them back to the sea, not for courting."

"We understand. But all we ask is that you consider it." With an annoyed huff, Moana excused herself from the meeting and walked to clear her head.

"I can't believe it! I'm home for not even a month, and they already want me to get married!" She complained to no one in particular. She went down to the beach, walking towards the outcropping of lava rock where she used to dance with her late Gramma Tala.

"Whoa, getting married to who?" Came Maui's voice from behind her, startling her.

"Maui! Gods, don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Sorry, sorry. Couldn't help but overhear, though. Council meeting didn't go as planned?" Moana huffed, rolling her eyes. She picked up a stick and began snapping it, throwing the broken pieces into the sand, "I'll take that as a no."

He watched as she paced around, muttering to herself.

"Do you even want to get married?" She stopped and faced him.

"It's not that I don't... just not right now, y'know? I'm not quite ready to settle down yet. I've still got that call inside coming and going."

"Well, then, don't stress about it. Focus on helping your parents out, I'm sure they'll appreciate your company."

He had a point.

Having no further argument, Moana went home, finding her parents getting ready for bed in their fale. She apologized for her abrupt departure.

"It's alright, minnow, I know that meeting was a bit much," Sina replied, giving her daughter a comforting hug.

"I did think about it more while I was gone,"

"Oh?"

"I'll give it time. I'm going to do what's right for me."

A million thoughts swirled through her head as she got ready for bed. How ready was she, really?