five

Hana Kātā woke up unsure of where she was

Hana Kātā woke up unsure of where she was. The room was dark and she was in a bed that she could tell was not hers. She turned her head to look out a window. The sun was rising, she sat up slowly. She fumbled around and found a lamp, she switched it on.

She was in Recovery Girl's office. She looked down to see her father sleeping in a chair, he was hunched over leaning on the bed. She could hear his soft snores. She rubbed her eyes and looked for a clock.

"Oh good dear you're awake." Recovery Girl entered her office and gave the girl a smile.

Her father shot up and looked around rapidly.

"You're awake thank God," he hugged her tight.

Recovery Girl laughed at Hana's confused expression.

"How long have I been here?" Hana asked.

"Since yesterday afternoon, you had a lot of internal bleeding as well as a split disk  in your back and neck." Recovery Girl put up Hana's x-rays.

She cringed looking at the pictures.

"Midnight didn't tell me what happened, I called home and your mother was threatening to come down here... I told her I would stay til you woke up to ease her." Her father explained sheepishly.

Hana nodded.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened now?" Her father asked.

Hana thought for a moment, "I hit a wall."

Her father blinked, "You hit a wall?"

"It was a really, like, hard wall," Hana explained.

Her father let out a breath and rubbed his forehead, "Okay... I guess I shall tell your mother... that."

Hana nodded.

Midnight opened the door with two coffees balancing in her one hand. She seemed surprised that Hana was even awake but her face soon relaxed. She handed Riku Kātā a coffee and sipped hers.

"You freaked your classmates out with your little fall," Midnight mused.

"Seemed like more than a little fall but what do I know," Riku muttered to himself.

Hana gave him a look and he sighed.

"Sorry, I'm just tired honey. I'm happy you're okay. I gotta call your mother."

Riku kissed his daughter's forehead and rubbed her head. Hana gave him a soft smile and he left the room with his coffee.

Soon as the door closed Midnight flopped on the bed, somehow managing not to spill any of her coffee. She practically landed on Hana. Hana moved out of the way just in time.

"Hey! Get off!"

"I'm so tired. I stayed up all night sick worried about my poor protégé, I even threw up at one point." Midnight dramatically covered her face.