eight

It was almost two in the morning, and pro hero Keigo Takami, aka Hawks, was still working. His eyes strained. They burned looking at the bright computer screen in the dark room.

Bubaigawara that was Twice's last name. He grew up in Takayama, a city in Japan's mountainous Gifu Prefecture. He had mentioned to Hawks that his parents died in a villain attack when he was thirteen. His older sister took care of him for many years.

"Do you still talk to her?" Hawks had asked.

"No. Why would I?" Twice said with a shrug.

"I always caused so much trouble for her... she doesn't need any more of that. She's married now."

Hawks perked up at that, "Hm married? She got any kids?"

Twice went quiet. "I don't know; why are you asking?"

Hawks laughed, "I just think you would be a fun uncle. Forget I asked."

So here Hawks sat in his office looking at Takayama criminal databases. The last name of Bubaigawara showed up a few fair amount of times. However, since children were involved in these calls, the names of Twice and his sister were redacted, much to his annoyance.

Domestic disturbance calls. He was never arrested for abuse towards the children or the wife; however, the police seemed to be called a good number of times. A name in these reports kept repeating. Officer Kobayashi.

How was he the one on the scene every time a call was reported from the Bubaigawara residence?

So many of Takayama's police records were not digitized. He would have to go in person if he was going to get anywhere. A knock came on his door. A secretary gave him a small smile.

"Hello, sir. I have some reports you need to sign off on. Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." She put some papers on his desk.

"You're here quite late. No hot date?" He smiled.

She blushed, "No, sir."

She looked at his laptop. He shut it quickly.

"Sorry..."

"It's alright... I'm sorry, it's just that this deals with sensitive information." He said in a sweet voice.

She nodded and made her leave. She reached the door before turning around.

"Forgive me for speaking out of turn, sir, but if you are interested in finding anything out about Takayama, you should talk to Edgeshot." She didn't meet his eyes and fidgeted with her hands.

"Oh? Why's that?"

"Well, Edgeshot is from Takayama."

Hawks blinked, "what?"

"Yeah, he grew up there... I used to work at his agency before coming here, so I basically know everything about him." She laughed.

"Thank you... I had no idea... have a great night." He nodded towards the door.

She bit her bottom lip and quickly exited his office. Hawks opened his computer once again before sighing and standing up. He paced around before stopping in front of the window.

It was amazing how, even though it was so late, the city was still alive and bustling. He sighed, opening the window before stepping out and flying home.

It wasn't as small as he had thought it would be. Takayama had a population of 88 thousand. Nowhere near the size of Tokyo but not a small mountain village like he was expecting. It was funny to imagine Edgeshot growing up here.