✯ 𝐬𝐢𝐱 ✯

November, 1944

November, 1944

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄 to say that the girls did not invite Anika to another Slytherin event after the one that took place a week ago. They kept constantly checking in on her and making sure she was alright, which she repeatedly kept assuring that she was. 

"Racism isn't a new thing to me, okay?" she explained. "And it's nothing I can't handle. Though I do really appreciate you guys defending me like that."

"Of course Ani," Daisy articulated sincerely. "I just wish I got a chance to hex that girl as well."

"It felt so good," Gabriela smirked. "And you'll get a chance pretty soon, because we have DADA next."

"Lucky," Anika sniffed. "I have Divination."

"I am so glad I dropped that class," Gab snorted. "Good luck."

The girls departed, Daisy and Gabriela walking to their Defense Against Dark Arts with Professor Merrythought, a sour old woman who Daisy suspected relished in the pain of others. Their class was shared with Ravenclaws, and Daisy was sad that she didn't have Fleamont in more of her classes. 

"Now, today will be a little different than your other classes," their professor began one all the students had assembled around her. "You're 7th years now, and pretty soon you will be going off into the real world. This year will be all about intensely training you to be ready for it."

"Finally," Gabriela muttered to Daisy. "I mean, it's not as if there's a giant wizarding war going on right now."

"Before, we've only had duels practicing 1 or 2 spells that we went over in class, but today, you'll have more freedom. Assemble into partners and discuss which spells are the best at disarming and escaping your enemy."

"What about spells which harm the enemy?" a cool voice spoke up, and Daisy didn't have to look to know it was Tom. "Wouldn't that be helpful in situations where you cannot get away?"

"Well, yes," the professor looked uncomfortable. "But we will not be practicing those in class."

"Why not? We have a hospital wing," he replied, clearly not detecting the uneasiness in Merrythought's voice. 

"Yeah, and of course we won't use spells that will severely harm," Abraxas Malfoy added. "Only ones that pack a small punch. And this is a safe environment, is it not? No one will get too badly hurt."

"What the hell," Daisy muttered to Gabriela. "I get wanting to make this as realistic as possible, but guys like this are exactly the reason why there is a war right now."

"Alright, I'll allow it," Merrythought said after a minute's hesitation. "But the second I see someone go too far, points will be taken away!"

The students assembled into partners to discuss, and Daisy and Gabriela paired immediately.