✯ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 ✯

March, 1945

March, 1945

"𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄'𝐒 𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐋 in the village square tonight," Tom spoke up after even he couldn't take the unbearable silence any longer. 

They were seated in a small cafe, two creamy hot chocolates steaming in front of the two of them, both untouched. The blonde was staring unseeingly past Tom's face at a fight two waitresses were having in the background, ending with one of them throwing their apron off and stalking out of the building. 

"What?" Daisy looked back at the boy sitting across from her, having not heard what he said. 

"You like to dance, don't you?" he said, almost embarrassed that he remembered this about her. "The town is having a gathering with dancing and music and food. We ought to go."

"You really want to go that?" she raised a brow, wary of his kind suggestion.

"If it'll get you out of this sour mood, I'm willing to do anything," he salvaged, but winced when it sounded even more sentimental. "Plus, we could both use the break."

"I want to leave tomorrow," Daisy said after a few more minutes, her hands reaching to cup her hot chocolate and thaw her icy skin. 

"But we've paid to stay 2 more nights," Tom reminded her, always very aware of how much money he spent.

"I don't want to stay here any longer than I have to," she said firmly, clenching the cup hard enough to turn her knuckles white. "There's nothing left here to do."

"Alright," Tom replied, sighing in agreement. 

They sat in more silence as Daisy raised the cup up to her lips to take a sip of the molten sweetness. Even the richness of the chocolate couldn't bring her spirits up, and she gloomily down half of the glass down in 2 more sips. 

"Do you think I'm a good person, Tom?" she spoke finally, surprised at how much she was scared of his answer, and how much she valued his opinion.

"Do you really think I'm the best person to ask?" he replied carefully, long fingers fiddling with the small cookie they were given as well. 

"I think you'll be brutally honest. Plus, you always have something to say about my character, don't you?" 

"You are one of the most pure-hearted people I know," he spoke truthfully. "Since the moment I met you, I could practically feel the kindness radiating off of you. At first it made me sick, but as time went by I came to rely on your warmth. Perhaps your absence is why I've felt cold these past few years."

Her mouth parted slightly in astonishment at his almost vulnerable words.

"But then why did you say all that stuff about how I'm not as good as I let on?" she had held onto those painful words for weeks after he had said them. 

"I was trying to get a rise out of you," Tom explained reluctantly. "To see if I could force your power out. It's not your fault that you were born with this darkness, Daisy. It even proves your guileless persona by the extent you have fought against it."