✯ 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ✯

March, 1945

March, 1945

𝐓𝐎𝐌 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 one his stomach, groaning softly as his mind starting coming back to life and reminding him where he was and what was going on. He opened his eyes just barely so slits of his environment were available to him. 

Daisy's face was the first thing he saw, since they had turned to face each other in the middle of the night during their sleep. In his sleep-addled state, he allowed himself to take in her features with a languid pace. 

She was quite aesthetically pleasing if Tom admitted so himself. He didn't feel objectively repulsed by her if he stared into her face. 

Suddenly her knee came into soft contact with his thigh, and the boy jerked out of the bed so quickly that the covers came off with him, leaving Daisy in a sudden cold. She opened her eyes to see Tom slowly putting the covers back on the bed, pretending as if nothing had happened. 

"Good morning," she gave him a small smile as she stretched her arms and back. 

"Good morning," he replied curtly, then promptly headed to the bathroom with his clothes for the day. 

Daisy frowned at his behaviour, but she was surprised. She took the opportunity alone to also change into her clothes and make a plan in her mind about what they were going to get done that day. 

She needed to find her mother's childhood home, perhaps she could find some answers there. She wasn't very good at detective work though, but she could ask the neighbours in the worst case scenario. This town seemed like it didn't have many people moving in or out, so she assumed the residents had lived her a long time. 

Once Tom came out, they both went outside to grab a quick breakfast at one of the limited array of cafes. Daisy got a buttery croissant sandwich filled with ham, cheese and cucumber and Tom got a pain au chocolate and a coffee. 

"So, how are we going to find your mother's house?" he asked once they had walked out. 

"I don't know..." the blonde admitted, biting into the soft dough of the pastry. 

"You don't have a plan?" Tom didn't even try to mask the annoyance in his tone. "I prefer to always be prepared in any situation."

"Good for you," Daisy said through gritted teeth. "Excuse me if I haven't had much time to do planning. We kind of came here on a whim, remember? Plus, it's a small town. How hard could it to be to find a house?"

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

It turned out that it was much harder to find one house than they thought. Both of them had felt like they'd walked the entire town, having seen two leaving signs in different directions. They were both out of options now. 

"I'll ask in that cafe and you can ask any villagers you see, okay?" Tom said, and she nodded. 

While Tom disappeared into one of the small buildings, Daisy looked around to see who looked especially helpful.