Thirteen

"It was another gift delivery for you," Chanmi announced with a smile as she returned to the backyard, where Jin had been enjoying some downtime by the pool.

With a subtle roll of his eyes and a sip of his drink, Jin asked, "Who sent it this time?"

As she saw the look on Jin's face, Chanmi couldn't help but laugh, "It seems your father-in-law sent it." She responded with a hint of humor in her voice. "He sent a lot of stuff. Do you want me to bring it here?"

"That's sweet of him, but no." Jin sighed as he shook his head in disbelief.

He couldn't comprehend why he was receiving gifts after terminating a pregnancy. It had been over a month since the incident, yet he continued receiving gifts from people he had never encountered. It piqued his curiosity as to what his deceitful husband, whom he hadn't laid eyes on since his discharge from the hospital, had been telling others.

"Jimin sent a text asking if today would be a good time to come over," Chanmi said as she read through Jin's unread messages.

To prevent his number from being widely shared, Jin purchased another phone and gave his assistant, Chanmi, access to it when she was around with the understanding that she would screen out any unsolicited messages or calls.

"No, it's not a good time. Exactly why is he in such a hurry to come to see me? What the heck is wrong with these people?"

Why the man's brother continued to insist on visiting him so much was a mystery to Jin. He had met him previously, and although he found him pleasant, he had no desire to get to know him further.

He just wanted to be left alone, except for Chanmi, as he enjoyed her company. She had introduced him to many things, and he was steadily learning more about how to do things that were important to him.

She had also helped him open a bank account in his name alone, which was separate and had no connection from the individual he was married to.

Deep down in his soul, he knew that the guy he had married was untrustworthy. He made up his mind to avoid making rash decisions and to instead carefully protect his financial future.

He hoped for a future that would protect him from the weight of his past and the unyielding challenges of the present. His yearning for freedom consumed him, a relentless hunger that grew with each passing day. It was a strange dance because even as the promise of freedom appeared within reach, it felt like it slipped further away from his grasp.

Chanmi walked up to Jin and sat down casually in the comfortable lounge chair beside him, her eyes wide with interest. She finally cracked a smile and asked the question that had been on the tip of her tongue. "So, are you going on a date with that doctor?"

Jin's eyes widened, his curiosity piqued as he looked at Chanmi, "how do you know about that?"

"I saw the messages. I can't believe you met him without me, though."

"Wait, that's the same doctor you had found for me?"

Chanmi nodded, "Yes. Did you forget?"

Jin sighed heavily, his words carrying a sense of sadness. "I don't know. My brain has not been the same since I moved to this country."

"Are you going on a date with him?"

"I am, and if you say anything to that man about it-"

"My lips are sealed! I work for you, and I think very highly of you. Besides, I don't ever see him around, I am sure you feel alone, and there is no denying the emotional toll this isolated life here must be taking on you.