Chapter Six

✦ ───── ✧ The Autumn Ball ✧ ───── ✦

"The Autumn Ball..." Cassian mused. A spark ignited within his hazel eyes, and he turned to his mate. "Good thing we have a dancer."

Nesta's eyes flared. "No. Absolutely not. I am not dancing with Eris again, that slimy son of a slug." She shuddered.

"I'll compensate you handsomely," Rhysand added.

"And I'm in," Nesta said immediately, Cassian roaring with laughter at her response.

"I'll go as well," Azriel said. "She's my mate. I will gladly suffer through the Autumn Court for her."

"Azriel and Nesta," Rhysand said, thinking. "Feyre and I can't go; we're too easily recognized, and I'm not sure that we can hold up a facade like that for long, especially not if I see Velaria. I feel like we need at least one more person, however."

"I can go," Mor suggested. "Or maybe Cass should."

"Are we sure that Cassian won't became all territorial as soon as Eris gets even within twenty feet of Nesta?" Azriel asked, an eyebrow raised, provoking a laugh from Mor.

"I can do it," Cassian insisted.

"You get one chance, Cassian, and then I swear I will pull you out at the first sign of trouble," Rhysand warned. "I'll be on Autumn Court territory but not inside, to survey and keep an eye on Cassian."

"Hey! I don't need watching..." Cassian considered.

Rhysand's eyebrows raised. "You destroyed a Summer Court building last time you were left unsupervised.

"Maybe I need just a little bit of watching," Cassian relented, and the room became alight with screaming bouts of laughter.

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

A knock sounded on Azriel's door. "Come in," he said, straightening his tie.

Cassian entered, looking sharp in a burnt orange colored suit, his hair tied up. "You almost ready, Az? Nesta and I are ready to go."

"I'll be ready in a second."

"Okay." Cassian turned to leave, but paused. "Az, we're going to find her," he added after a second, looking unsure of what to say. "And if not, we'll all be here for you."

"Thank you, brother." Azriel inhaled, giving his reflection a once-over before turning to Cassian. "Alright. I'm ready."

Azriel and Cassian fell into line and walked the entire way downstairs, Nesta walking behind them in a stunning, revealing red dress that Cassian kept looking back at.

Nesta murmured something to her mate, causing him to chuckle and blush furiously.

Once they reached the bottom of the steps, Rhysand gave them all the once-over, his violet eyes roaming over their outfits. "Everyone all ready to go?"

"I don't know...do we think Nesta's outfit is revealing enough?" Cassian mused, rubbing a hand over the stubble on his chin. Nesta reached over and smacked him on the shoulder.

Rhysand rolled his eyes, ushering Cassian and Nesta through the wide front door before grabbing Azriel's shoulder. Azriel looked down at the High Lord's tight grasp on his arm.

"Azriel. How are you feeling?"

Azriel almost did a double-take at the concern lacing Rhys's tone, but remembered he was not the only one affected by this. Velaria and Rhysand had been close in the way that most pairs of siblings would be envious of.