Chapter Forty-Two

Happy Nanowrimo! Expect more regular uploads because of Nanowrimo!

Elain

She hadn't expected him to kiss her. When she had agreed to walk up to him, to meet him, she had thought she was going to be shunned by him for her mistake in kissing Azriel, giving Velaria the opportunity to invoke a fight with her if she wanted.

But he'd acknowledged her fault while seeing her. Truly seeing her. It had made her so grateful, it was almost as if he had lifted her out of the shadow of the High Lady of the Night Court, out of the shadow of Lady Death herself, the one who had plucked the harp's final string.

She began to question just how much she was overlooking of Lucien Vanserra, if this one conversation had made her feel so much like herself again.

And so she kissed him back. She put her arms over his shoulders, threading her fingers through his long, windswept hair.

The kiss sent a warm sensation throughout her, awakening some part of her that had been dead for so long.

He pulled back and just looked at her as though the sun had never shone on a brighter person. The pure admiration in his eyes made her heart swell.

"I know you don't want a mate," Lucien murmured, looking into her eyes, "but I want you to know that you are seen, Elain. No matter what the Night Court says or does, or no matter how much you are overlooked, I see you."

The sentiment brought tears to her eyes, but he reached up a gentle hand and wiped the tears away.

"Thank you," Elain whispered. "I know that I said I didn't want a mate, but I was so broken then, Lucien. I wasn't ready for anyone, let alone a mate. It wasn't you."

Lucien smiled weakly. "I will admit that it is nice to hear that."

Elain reached a slightly trembling hand up to cup his chin, feeling the rough stubble there. "But these last few weeks, ignoring the slight hiccup...they've made me feel better than I have since I became fae."

Lucien went still under her touch. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying..." Elain took a deep breath, still smiling. "I'm saying let's take it slow, but...I'm open to being your mate, Lucien."

A grin broke out across Lucien's face brighter than the High Lord of Day. He grabbed her waist and hugged her. "I don't know what to say but I felt like I should say something," he whispered.

Elain laughed. "That's perfectly okay."

Lucien leaned down to kiss her again when someone winnowed in behind him. She leaned her head around Lucien's body to stare at Velaria, violet eyes set immediately on Lucien.

Lucien turned around, following Elain's stare. "Velaria?"

Velaria shook her head quickly and grabbed Lucien's wrist, another hand snaking around Elain's, and winnowed them both out. They landed in the middle of a field.

Lucien opened his mouth to speak but Velaria cut him off. "Tamlin's lackeys. Coming this way," she said. "Remember your parts." And then she winnowed out.

Elain got to glance at Lucien before someone winnowed in. She grabbed his arm, setting her expression into one of love.

Four Spring Court sentries winnowed into the field, baring expressions that Elain couldn't place. The tang of a mysterious magic filled the air, the scent of it making Elain's stomach roil.

"How can I help you?" Lucien asked, his voice cold. One of his hands snaked around Elain's waist, pulling her closer to him.

One of the sentries glanced at Elain briefly before answering, "We come bearing a message from the High King of Prythian."