Chapter Eight

✦ ───── ✧ Reunion ✧ ───── ✦

Azriel

They winnowed straight into the sparkling city of Velaris, the bright lights hitting them instantaneously. Velaria turned in a circle as soon as they landed, taking in the chatter, the laughter, the sight and scent of people living and thriving.

"Welcome to Velaris," Rhsyand said, his eyes twinkling.

"You named it after me," Velaria breathed, gaping at her brother.

Rhysand exhaled, giving her a sentimental smile. "Of course I did, Vela. I promised you I would name something after you, didn't I? What better than the City of Dreams, for the Princess of Dreams?"

The nickname had come from Velaria's utter resilience in always being able to dream, no matter all of the ways the world tried to shut her down. She was always able to dream, thus giving her the nickname of the Princess of Dreams for when Rhys, Cassian, or himself wanted to refer to her, but it was mainly Cassian who used it.

Velaria closed her eyes, breathing in the scent of her home, her court, once again.

A cry pierced through the air, and someone winnowed in front of Velaria and tackled her to the ground in a bear hug. Velaria opened her eyes to see her cousin, staring at her with wide eyes.

Velaria laughed, beginning to sob hysterically at the sight of the blonde. "I'm alive, Mor, I'm alive."

Mor bit her lip, helping Velaria up off of the ground and giving her another hug. "You're alive," she breathed. "You're here."

Fae rushed out of the river manor, one by one, to see the commotion going on outside. First was Amren, who, by the light in Velaria's beautiful violet eyes, he could tell that Velaria had missed dearly. The female ran up and hugged Velaria fiercely, displaying more emotion than Azriel had seen from her in all of the time he had known her. "Welcome home, Velaria," Amren said, her voice breaking. "Welcome home."

The second was Nesta, still in her party attire, whom Azriel presumed that Rhysand had winnowed home quickly as soon as Cassian had retrieved him. She stood in the pale grass, surveying the new female, who was now hugging Cassian, with a territorial glare.

The third was the person Azriel wasn't sure if he wanted to see. Elain walked and stood behind Nesta, placing a hand on her sister's shoulder and whispering something to her.

The last was Feyre, who ran up to Rhysand and Velaria, looking frantically back and forth between them.

Velaria's eyes widened at Feyre. "If it isn't Feyre Cursebreaker, defender of the Rainbow," she said, embracing Feyre before she could respond. "You healed my brother more than you could ever know. Thank you for saving him when I couldn't anymore. I would like to request that you paint my eyes next to Rhysand's in the cabin."

Feyre's face shifted into utter confusion so quickly Azriel almost didn't see it. "Wait, how do you kn–"

"Nesta Archeron, I presume," Velaria said, although she seemed quite sure of herself. She curtseyed lower than she should have, Nesta sneering at the action. "I would also like to thank you for saving my brother, along with my nephew and my brother's mate during Nyx's birth." She ignored Nesta's bewildered look, continuing, "I was one of the original Valkyries. I was the last one alive before you reinstated the program. I would love to share the information and techniques I have with you, so long as you do the same."

Nesta paused, watching Velaria with a skeptical brow raised. "Sure, she said hesitantly.

Azriel's gaze flicked to his High Lord, who was watching the whole spectacle with an amused look on his face. Feyre was frowning at her mate, clearly trying to reach him mind to mind, but failing.