Chapter Twenty-Six

Velaria

Velaria leaned against the railing of the staircase, its gorgeous design like that of her childhood home. Azriel had put so much thought into this house, into all of it. She loved him so much for it.

She still hadn't had time to talk to him, to discuss if they were going too fast. Yes, they had decades to fall in love before, but then she disappeared and the world fell apart. He moved on, and now, when everything was falling apart again was when they rushed into it. Something didn't feel right.

Mor and Emerie showed up, clad in matching disguises of Illyrian leathers that reeked of sweat and blood.

Velaria gagged, squeezing her eyes shut. "Those smell terrible. Did you fish them out of a garbage bin?"

Mor grinned at her under a face of dirt. "That's the point. Disguising our scents."

Velaria smiled at her cousin, understanding. She pulled Mor into a hug, despite the dirt, and squeezed tight. "I'll miss you. Stay safe."

Mor tightened her grip. "You, too, cousin. I'm not losing you again." She let go, sighed contently and strolled out the door.

Next was Feyre and Azriel, a goodbye Velaria wasn't quite ready to make just yet.

Feyre hugged Velaria, then pulled back to look at her. "No goodbyes. I'll see you on the other side." And with that, she too walked out the open door into the streets of Velaris.

Velaria was left staring at Azriel.

He was dressed in his typical fighting leathers, a siphon atop each hand, but no others in sight. His shadows swarmed around him, immediately entangling themselves in Velaria's to say goodbye.

"Hey," Azriel said, smiling weakly.

"Hi." Velaria gulped. Why was this so hard, talking to the male she considered her best friend? "So."

"Yeah." Despite the awkwardness, Azriel's stunning hazel eyes never strayed from Velaria's. He kept watching, as if he was seeing something he was admiring.

"Are you admiring me, Az?" Velaria breathed, stepping closer to him. "Right before a mission? You shameless flirt."

"That I am," Azriel agreed, taking a step. Instead of lowering his mouth to hers, as Velaria expected him to do, he pulled her into a firm hug.

Velaria let out a sigh of relief and pressed her face into his chest, savoring the familiar scent of him that would soon be far away.

They stayed together for a moment more, taking whatever time they had left. It felt right.

Azriel finally pulled away, looking down at Velaria. "I'm going to miss you," he admitted, trying to smile. "A lot."

"You're not going to lose me this time, Az," Velaria said quietly. "I promise. I'll come back."

"I know," Azriel whispered. "I know." He leaned down and kissed the top of Velaria's head. "I know," he said another time, as if to try and convince himself.

"Please be safe," Velaria said. "Maybe I should come with you. Kallias is an old friend, and maybe he'll listen to–"

"Hey, hey, stop." Azriel placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, the hand covered in scars she wished she had been able to protect him from. "We made a solid plan. You made a good plan. We need to stick to it. We're professionals, right?"

Velaria nodded. "I just..." She took a deep breath. "I don't want our story to end like this, Az."

Az was quiet, deep in thought. "It won't," he said, kissing her head one more time. "We won't let that happen. We get to have a story after this. We get to have a life."