Chapter Forty-Six

Velaria

As soon as she had felt the tattoo ink prickling up her neck, Tamlin had waved a hand, and they were gone. Feyre, Helion, and Azriel had disappeared, presumably winnowed back to the Night Court. Winnowed back to safety.

Lucien and Elain were still there, along with Cresseida. Marigold was still lying facedown on the rug, unmoving.

Velaria let out a ragged, relieved sob as Azriel's hurt stopped pulsating down the bond, the unbearable pain he hadn't wanted to show replaced by cold, undiluted terror and rage.

The High Lords were presenting unfazed, but Velaria could tell they were all within their own minds, within their own emotions. Tarquin and Varian were expressionless, Cresseida seemingly struggling to mask her emotions. Eris's face was frozen in rage as his gaze darted between his mother and Tamlin. Thesan only yawned, his brown eyes filled with unrelenting boredom.

But Rhysand's face, the slight squint of his eyes, the small line his pressed lips made. She recognized his expression, knew the emotions swimming in his star-flecked eyes. Underneath all of the confusion as he seemingly struggled to recognize even her, was fear. And pity. He was scared. For her, she realized.

"You got what you wanted," Eris growled. "Now get my mother a fucking healer."

Tamlin snorted. "She's still a traitor, Eris," he said. "And I am your High King. You do not tell me what to do."

Eris stood up. "When my mother is likely bleeding out on the floor, I can do whatever I wish, High King," he sneered.

Tamlin shot out a hand. A tendril of black power the same as the power chaining her to the floor shot out, wrapping around Eris's throat and constricting. Eris clawed at his throat, his face turning pink.

Tamlin stalked over to the High Lord of Autumn. "Want to make more demands now, little Eris?" he snarled, his temper flaring. "Want me to heal your mother now?" Tamlin threw his hand out again, this time clutching Eris's throat with his claws. He dug his claws further into Eris's neck, droplets of blood appearing on his skin like rubies on a cream cloth of silk.

Velaria tried to stand before Tamlin could do more damage, crying out at the stabbing pain at her wrists and ankles, too much for her to bear, and she had taken much worse. She fell to her knees, the chains swinging with the movement and slamming into her shoulder, immediately stinging where it hit.

"Tamlin, stop!" Velaria cried. "Let me...Let me heal her. She can't be of use in an interrogation if she's dead."

All eyes in the room were on her. Eris's brow was furrowed in confusion, Tamlin's eyes narrowing.

"Did you..." Velaria could practically see the gears turning in Tamlin's brain. He froze, then let out a rough laugh. "You're working with her, aren't you?" He let out another laugh, as if this was insanely hysterical to him.

Velaria held her stance, unrelenting as the hysteria in his eyes turned to cold, pure rage.

Tamlin surged towards Velaria so quickly she stumbled backwards into her bonds, and she hissed at the pain. His claws dug into her cheeks as he held her head still. His lips parted, exposing sharp white fangs gleaming there.

Velaria froze as claws tapped against her mental shields. Once. Twice. Three times.

"Let me in." Tamlin let out a low growl. "Let. Me. See."

Velaria squeezed her eyes shut, concentrating all of her will on keeping Tamlin out. She fortified the walls of onyx, adding a layer every time Tamlin's claws slammed into her shields. She focused everything she had on the fortification, while holding onto the mating bond to keep her grounded.