Chapter Fifty-Nine

Velaria

Velaria looked out over the remains of what had been her wedding ceremony area. Chairs were being cleaned up by sentries, the blood stained marble dais being removed piece by piece. Dried flower petals were scattered across the scorched grass, forgotten relics of a dreadful time.

She couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe that it was all over, truly over. She was free. Free to live the life she wanted, with the person she wanted.

She had rested in Tamlin's infirmary for three days after the ceremony, Thesan checking in and Azriel refusing to leave her side. Feyre and Thesan moved throughout the beds for the first day, healing through any major injuries anyone had obtained, but no one had been injured too badly, thankfully.

Velaria loosed a long, slow breath and took a step onto the now brown grass. She walked down the aisle as she had done.

Tamlin's body had been removed, and they had laid the High Lord down a bit away from where she was now standing. All of the company had crowded around his body as Eris, whose powers had returned, lit it on fire and they all watched as he faded into ash.

Anyone who could winnow had been working tirelessly the past twenty-four hours or so to winnow friends and family in from their camp. Now every person involved from every court was here, using Tamlin's manor as a sort of safe meeting spot.

"Vel."

Velaria turned around. A smile broke out across her face and she rushed to hug her mate. "Hey, Az," she said, beaming up at him.

Azriel grinned, pressing a kiss lightly to her lips. "They're ready for us," he said. "Are you ready?"

Velaria took one last look at her surroundings, knowing it would likely be the last time she stepped foot in this area, before turning to her mate and nodding. She interlaced her fingers with his. "Let's go."

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

They entered the room together, two souls united at last, looking at the gathered company.

Velaria and Azriel settled into their seats side by side, flanked by Feyre and Rhysand on one side and Cassian, accompanied by Nesta, on the other.

Nesta had apparently shown up at the camp while they had been gone, supposedly pissed off and having been wandering by herself around the entirety of the Night Court the entire time.

Helion cleared his throat and everyone fell silent. "Welcome, all," he said, his voice strong. "We are all here before we depart for our separate courts to figure out a few things. First on the agenda is for any fae to voice any concerns they have of what we decided yesterday, which is that each High Lord or Lady will decide how best to repair within their own courts, as we have always done."

When no one spoke, Helion continued, "The second thing is possibly the last. It is the question of who, exactly, will take over the Spring Court. Marigold and Elain have been combing through Tamlin's records, and he has no living relatives."

At this, everyone was silent, eyes darting and fae shifting.

I know you have someone in mind, Azriel murmured down the bond. Just say it already, my love.

Velaria chuckled, stroking the bond before straightening. "I would like to nominate Lucien Vanserra as the new High Lord of Spring."

Surprisingly, no one seemed more shocked than the fox himself.

"Lucien knows this territory and it's politics, and more importantly, he knows its people," Velaria said, giving Lucien a slight smile. "He is well versed in politics, and has served well as false High Lord of Day in Helion's supposed death."

"Does anyone have any other suggestions?" Helion asked. "If not, then we shall put it to a vote. High Lords and Lady, those in favor?"

Velaria watched, her gaze darting back to Lucien's gaze every once in a while as slowly but surely every hand went up in the room.

Helion was grinning like a mad person. "Then it is settled. Your new High Lord of Spring, Lucien Vanserra. With that, our meeting is adjourned."

Fae began to trickle out, Lucien kissing Elain vigorously at this good news. Marigold and Helion made their way over to their son, beaming.

Velaria made her way over there, as well. "Fox," she greeted Lucien.

"Raven," Lucien retorted. He smiled at her, bowing his head ever so slightly. "Thank you, Velaria. For everything."

Velaria bowed her head back. "Of course," she said, and turned to leave.

Azriel caught her wrist, tugging her into the hallway. "You chose well, Vel," he said.

"I always do."

Azriel watched fae walk past, seemingly content. "Now what?" he asked after a moment. "We have our promised future in the palms of our hands."

Velaria took her mate's hand. "Now we make new dreams."