Chapter Nineteen

Helion

Helion gritted his teeth and slammed the door to the cell. "By the mother, Lucien. What the fuck?"

Lucien growled at him through the golden bars. "I am only carrying out orders by the High King." Even dirtied, his red hair shone in the dim light of the Day Court dungeon.

"High King...who the fuck is the High King?" Helion demanded.

"Tamlin is the High King of Prythian," Lucien said, glaring. "He has ordered me to dispose of the Day Court throne so I can instate myself as the High Lord of the Day Court."

"Even Tamlin wouldn't mess with blood lineages," Helion murmured to himself, before winnowing away.

The bright colors of the Autumn Court hit him instantly, the smell of crisp apples and decomposing leaves replacing the golden smell of his own court.

As quickly as he could, Helion winnowed into the Autumn Court palace, found the Lady of the Autumn Court's separate rooms (the rooms Beron had requested be put on the opposite side of the palace, the bastard), and broke down the door.

"Marigold, fucking wake up," Helion said, shaking her awake.

She opened her eyes and sat up, about to scream when Helion put a hand over her mouth.

"I am truly sorry, my dear, but there's no time to explain," Helion said quickly, shaking his head. "Take my hand."

She obeyed, grabbing onto his hand with her pale one. They winnowed back to the Day Court, to the antechambers connected to Helion's own room.

Marigold clutched her golden night gown, raising an eyebrow. "Helion, would you care to explain?"

"You're not...Are you possessed?" Helion panted, grabbing onto the wood table next to him to steady himself, readying his powers for anything.

"Am I what?" Marigold put her hands on her hips, and Helion studied her, studied the woman he loved.

She was so strong, so intelligent, and he had known he loved her since the moment he had saved her that day centuries ago. And Lucien attacking him only furthered his suspicions, but he needed to hear it from her.

"Do you think that Tamlin is High King of Prythian?"

Marigold glared, russet eyes filled with hatred. "If that blonde High Lord was the King of Prythian, I would kill him."

Helion's entire body relaxed, relief flooding through it. "Thank the Gods...but I thought you were there, at the Spring Court Calanmai."

Marigold grimaced. "I was. Eris shielded me from Tamlin's spell," she explained. "I had to pretend that I believed in everything Tamlin was telling us to believe. I watched as Tamlin gave the order for Eris, and for Lucien, to kill their father. I watched him order Rhysand around like it was easy."

Her body crumpled as she stifled a sob, and Helion caught her. Marigold looked up at him, eyes gleaming. "Eris killed Beron. Eris is now High Lord of the Autumn Court."

"Holy shit," Helion murmured. "Are you okay?"

She pressed her face into his chest. "I don't know what to feel, Helion," she said.

Helion cupped her cheek. "You don't have to feel anything, my flower," he said, using his thumb to brush away her tears. "I have one question for you, if you're up for it."

She nodded. "Anything."

"What were Tamlin's exact words, when he ordered Lucien and Eris to kill Beron?" he asked.

"He said, 'Kill your father, so become High Lord."

It was Helion's turn to stumble. "So it's true, then," he said. "Lucien is my son."