Chapter Forty-Four

Azriel

Azriel fidgeted with the band on his hand, centering himself with deep breaths as he waited outside the tent for Velaria to emerge.

"Vel," Azriel said, trying to hide the shaking of his voice, "we have to go. Are you ready?"

The tent flap flew open, revealing Velaria in full Illyrian leathers, her hair tied up in a bun. She shot him a piercing violet glare, moving to stand beside him. "I'm here, I'm here," she said.

Azriel smiled at her, taking her hand and pressing a kiss to it. "Sorry to bug you, but we really do have to leave."

Velaria rolled her eyes, lacing her hand in his as they began to walk in the direction of Helion's tent.

They walked in silence, walking slower than usual as they took the time they had left to just be together under non-fatal circumstances.

A crowd had already gathered outside of Helion's tent, despite the sun just beginning to rise over the gorgeous Night Court mountains.

Feyre was handing Nyx off to Emerie as they approached, her eyes full of fear as she watched her son. "Please, keep him safe," she said to the Illyrian female.

Emerie shifted Nyx into one arm, using the other to rub Feyre's shoulder. "We will. We promise," she said as Mor nodded next to her.

Azriel surveyed the crowd, mentally tallying who they were waiting for. "The only people we're missing..."

"Sorry, sorry, we're here," Lucien called from the other side of the crowd with impeccable timing.

Velaria clapped her hands together with the arrival of Lucien and Elain, every head in the crowd turning to look at her. "Helion is going to run through a quick tally to make sure everyone is here," she said. "And then you'll each go over preparations with your respective sections, and we'll be off. Helion?"

The real High Lord of Day nodded. "Lucien, Elain, and Cresseida?"

"All here, Helion," Lucien replied.

"Marigold and the Spring Court sentries?"

"We're here, too," Marigold said, eyes weary but still burning with her usual calculated passion.

"Velaria and Azriel I know are here, as am I," Helion said. "Kallias and Feyre?"

"Present," Kallias said.

At the same time, Feyre said, "I'm here."

"Good." Helion's eyes found Velaria's. "Velaria?"

Velaria inhaled sharply. "Find your sections, check in, and leave when you're ready. Mari, Helion will winnow your section out."

Marigold nodded quickly before turning to the sentries.

Kallias, Feyre, and Helion came over to where Velaria and Azriel were standing.

Velaria took another deep breath, Azriel squeezing her hand comfortingly, and they went over the plan one last time.

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

Velaria

The overpowering scent of the Spring Court when they landed was sickening, but she was too focused on concealing the presence of her power to become fazed by it.

Lucien nodded at her as soon as they had landed, taking Elain's hand and beckoning for Cresseida to follow as they walked through the clearing, the trio soon out of sight.