Chapter Twenty-Eight

Velaria

Velaria went to the Dawn Court first, wanting to see for herself if Thesan was possessed, wanting to see if she could rescue his lover.

Velaria had known Ciel and Thesan since she was a child, both being teenagers at the time. The news of Thesan's father's death had shook everyone, as his cause of death was never found.

Velaria, the same with Kallias and Viviane, had watched Thesan and Ciel fall in love. It seemed everyone had their fairytale ending save for her and Azriel.

Velaria sighed, shifting into a rose gold hummingbird and flying off to the shining dawn palace.

Velaria veered left, entering through a window on the second floor. A hummingbird inside would be quite suspicious, so she shifted into a small fly quickly and looked around to make sure no one was watching.

She then flew through the open doors to find Thesan sitting on a golden throne, and almost gasped.

Thesan lounged on the throne, his brown hair unkempt but his dark skin still utter perfection. His eyes focused lazily at the High Fae in front of him.

The fae was bound and gagged, his blonde hair falling in bloody clumps around his face over brown eyes. His face was bloodied and bruised, his eyes gaunt.

"Ungag him," Thesan commanded, waving a hand.

The guards in rose gold armor rose and stalked to the fae, one grabbing his arms with brute force and the other ripping the gag out of his mouth.

"High Lord," the fae spat out.

Thesan sneered. "You have quite the list of crimes against you, Ezio," he said. "And to think you were once the Captain of my Guard. How disgraceful that we've now come to this."

Ezio. The Third in Command to Thesan. Velaria remembered him from a while back, from a function her father had dragged her to to find a possible suitor.

Velaria hit someone and began to fall backwards when a hand clasped around her wrist.

"Princess, my apologies," the male said.

Velaria blinked to see a fae that couldn't have been older than her smiling at her. No malice haunted his features.

"You know who I am?" Velaria croaked, straightening out and brushing her hands off on her skirt.

The male grinned. "Of course, Princess," he said. "Everyone here is aware of the Night Court Princess's attendance tonight."

"You're of the Dawn Court?" Velaria asked, noting the slight glow to his features and the hint of pink in his warm brown eyes.

The male dipped his head. "That I am. My name is Ezio. My father is the Dawn Court High Lord's Captain of the Guard, and I am to be the Captain after him."

"Ezio." Velaria tested his name out. "Am I saying it correctly?"

"Yes, you are, Princess."

"How old are you, Ezio?"

Ezio blinked, as if surprised by the question. "I'm twenty-three," he said. "I would ask you back, but I'm sure it's not proper to ask the daughter of a High Lord how old she is."

Velaria frowned. "I would have thought it was common knowledge," she said. "I'm twenty-three as well."

Ezio smiled at her, a genuine smile. "Would you like to dance?"

Before Velaria could answer, a voice behind her boomed, "No, she would not" and Velaria froze.

Ezio bowed deeply. "High Lord."