Author's Note

Wow. Oh, my goodness. It feels so weird to be able to just write my thoughts down without a perspective heading at the top or without real constraints as to how I'm writing, or the style in which I'm writing with.

A Court of Dreams and Promise started off as a random idea that kept popping into my mind on warm June nights when I couldn't sleep. First it was little flashes of things that Rhysand's sister went through, or cute moments she had with Azriel. Later, after the true idea for Velaria had formed, and after I had read haleyspeed's A Court of Song and Shadow, did A Court of Dreams and Promise begin to come to life.

I wrote chapters one through eight in the final two weeks of June, thinking it would be like the rest of my discarded writing projects, and nothing would come of it. But, for once, I felt excited to write something. For the first time since the middle of the pandemic, I had an inspired idea and I wanted to write it.

Then, I went on a two week writing trip with a bunch of other inspired, creative students just like me. During that time I wrote chapters nine through fourteen, having a couple of my peers read A Court of Dreams and Promise during that time.

I kept writing after I left, and in the middle of writing chapter twenty-four I realized I needed to plan this out, or it would become a mess later on.

That's when I sat for two hours straight and planned through the remaining chapters of the book with some character notes I still don't fully understand. Then I started writing and I haven't looked back.

I won't bore you any longer with the process this book took, but I will say that I had so much fun going on this journey (I know; it's a cliche to call it such) and I can't wait to take it again as I edit.

I will say that I have planned out futures for my characters, and although it is slightly hazy, I have some good ideas that I won't leave rattling around my brain. Look out for either a collection of one-shots or a whole new book from another character's perspective (set in the same world, don't worry) coming possibly soon.

This entire book is a dream come true. I've been writing since second grade and have finished writing three books before this, but have plenty of discarded writing projects that could use some love but that I have no inspiration for.

But A Court of Dreams and Promise shattered all records. It's the most chapters I've ever written, the most pages, the most words. It has become my greatest accomplishment.

I don't know what else there is to say except how much fun I had writing this book, and getting to be on the wild ride that is Velaria and Azriel's tragic backstory.

Do me a favor. If you go back and read through this, ignore any typos or discrepancies (for instance, how the mating bond snapped in for Azriel). I'll fix them in editing, which will come very soon. Expect all chapters to be fully edited and elongated one by one. For my editing process, I rewrite every single chapter in its entirety, so expect each chapter to get changed, one by one.

Thank you to all the random music, the late night texts, and the broken mechanical pencil tips that helped me to write this book in the first place. Thank you to my keyboard, for not breaking on me although it almost did after I accidentally spilled Cinnamon Toast Crunch onto it (whoops). Thank you to SL for standing by me throughout all of this.

And a big, big, big shoutout to IP for reading almost all of this in two nights when you found out I was writing a book. I wouldn't have been able to finish this without you.

From the bottom of my heart – thank you all, and I'll see you (hopefully) very soon.

crimson