Chapter Twenty-Two

Velaria awoke with a strong arm draped over her. She turned, seeing her mate, and snuggled back into his grip.

They had found the cabin where they had all had the first snowball fight ever, and Azriel remarked that he currently held 199 victories over Cassian and Rhysand.

Velaria shifted, propping her head on an arm to watch her mate. His chest rose and fell in the most beautiful rhythm she had ever seen. She had forgotten how beautiful he looked as he slept.

Velaria flopped back onto the bed, shimming as close as she could to Azriel, and closed her eyes.

"Were you watching me sleep?" Azriel's sleepy voice murmured from behind her. His voice crackled with every syllable, the low sound reminding her of a fire.

"No..." Velaria's cheeks flushed. "Definitely not."

Azriel laughed, the sound like a symphony. "And I definitely believe you," he said, pulling her closer to him by the waist and kissing the side of her head. "It is so good to be with you again."

Velaria smiled, leaning into the touch. "I agree but," she said, pulling out of his arms and standing up, earning a disapproving frown from him, "we have more pressing matters at hand."

"I miss five centuries with you and the time we're reunited is when we have a powerful High Lord chasing after us." Azriel rolled his eyes, throwing the covers off and sitting up.

Velaria threw her shirt on, trying not to stare as Azriel stretched, his muscles rippling.

"Stop that," Azriel muttered, a grin sliding up his face.

Velaria turned around, pulling pants on. "I have no idea what you're talking about," she said, straightening her shirt and moving to face Az again.

Azriel was staring at her, a slight smile on his face. Admiring her, the same way he had done thousands of times.

"Stop that," Velaria said, slugging him.

Without a warning, Azriel grabbed Velaria by the waist and threw her onto the bed. Velaria shrieked and latched onto his shoulders, pulling him down.

Velaria grinned a wicked grin before throwing him off of her, under his arm, and jumping onto his back.

Azriel yelped as Velaria clung between his shoulder blades, between his wings. He spun in a circle, trying to get her off, but tripped on a piece of clothing on the floor and fell onto the bed, pinning Velaria underneath him.

Velaria grunted. "We should probably get dressed."

Azriel laughed. "That sounds good." He got up, kissed Velaria's cheek, and got dressed alongside his mate for the first time.

✿ ↬ - - - ↫ ✿

The wind whipped in Velaria's hair, making her grateful for the ribbon she had tied it up with. Velaria stretched her wings, daring to have them out for the first time in centuries as a bitter wind kissed it.

Velaria snuck a glance at Azriel, who was staring at the Hewn City palace with a fixed stare. His wings were tucked in tight to his body, his fighting leathers holding snug around his muscles. Each rise and fall of his breath, every careful calculation of his incredibly intelligent brain, his darting hazel glance, was utter perfection. She had forgotten how beautiful he was, inside and out.

"I sent my shadows ahead to see if they could find a way in," Azriel said quietly, the playfulness from earlier disappeared and replaced with professionalism. "They just came back."

Velaria had noticed the absence of his shadows, but decided not to remark, as hers were also searching around the Hewn City palace. She had shoved her longings to stay in bed with Azriel down into her stomach, prioritizing saving Mor and Feyre before they could spend any quality time together without Velaria feeling guilty.