Chapter Thirty-Six

Azriel

"Azriel. Shadowsinger."

Azriel rolled over, putting his pillow over his head. It couldn't be morning. He had barely gotten any sleep last night, had fallen asleep at the very last minutes of darkness.

"AZRIEL."

Azriel sat up quickly, his shadows whispering frantically something was wrong. He blinked, a female coming into focus.

"Shit happened," Emerie snapped, fury lighting her eyes. "Get dressed. Get to the meeting tent."

Azriel narrowed his eyes. "What happened? Why are you so upset?"

"I'm not. Now get your ass to the meeting tent," Emerie huffed, exiting Azriel's tent.

Azriel's heart kept skipping beats as he quickly got trained, and hurried a couple tents over to the meeting tent. If this was about last night, he could explain. Velaria had run off before he could.

Azriel entered the tent, and everyone was already talking over one another.

Feyre was leaning over the table, brow furrowed and pointing a finger at Helion angrily. Helion himself had a hand behind his back latched onto Marigold, keeping her behind him. Kallias stood in the corner, arms crossed over his chest and his icy eyes darting between every single fae in the room. Ezio talked with Cresseida and Emerie, worry creasing his brow. Emerie was shaking her head, pinching the bridge of her nose. Ciel monitored everything, and Lucien was opposite him, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Where was Elain?

Feyre looked up when Azriel stood close enough. She turned to him immediately, eyes narrowing. "Azriel. Good."

"Will someone tell me what the hell is happening?" Azriel snapped.

Feyre pursed her lips, but Kallias's attention snapped to the shadowsinger. "Your mate is missing, Shadowsinger," Kallias said dryly. "I thought you two were sharing a tent."

"We are," Azriel said, trying to figure out what Kallias was hinting at. "She didn't come to the tent last night."

Marigold shook her head, a few strands falling out of her hasty bun. "She was in mine and Helion's, and then she left. It doesn't make sense," she murmured. "Velaria wouldn't just leave."

Feyre gritted her teeth. "Marigold, what mood was she in when she left your tent?" she asked.

Marigold let out a long breath, closing her eyes. "She was happy. She was going to the shadowsinger."

Helion tilted his head. "She never said that."

"There's such a thing as unspoken conversation, Helion," Marigold said. She hesitated before continuing, "I'm not sure she'd want me to tell you all this, but seeing as she's missing...she wanted to see Azriel to tell him she was ready to truly accept the mating bond."

Cresseida whipped to Azriel. "You two haven't done that yet?"

Azriel winced. "She wasn't sure if we were rushing into it," he said. "So, no. We haven't truly accepted it yet." Marigold's word sunk in, and he turned to her, his heart barely beating. "She was...ready?"

Marigold nodded, tears forming in her eyes. "She was. And now..."

Feyre held up a hand. "We don't know if Velaria is hurt without asking her mate," she said. "Az? Anything from the mating bond?"

Azriel shook his head, having already checked the minute he knew she was missing. "She's shielded against me, but she's not hurt, or...dead." Anxiety rippled through him at the very thought.