Shattered Glass

Zim bit his lip, the Tallest had not been picking up his calls for several months, and much to his dismay, they hadn't made any effort to call him back either.

Zim had always been the one calling them though, so the last fact didn't bother him as much, but it still irritated him how he couldn't get in touch with the irken empire at all these past few months. had something happened? was there an attack, why did he have no knowledge of it?

He felt helpless, he hated how he felt like this, like a hopeless, filthy earth child, small and pitiful. These pathetic feelings were a show of weakness to an irken, they weren't supposed to be this needy, irkens are the most independent life forms known! Their PAKs heal them, and just minutes after birth irkens PAKs receive all irken knowledge, they don't need to learn for years or "grow up".

All the way down to their very coding in their PAKs, they were not supposed to have such feeble feelings.

But yet, Zim found himself surrounded by them, it was like being submerged in disgusting earth water, being so helpless, drowning in self pity made him feel physically sick.

He took a sharp, but shaky breath as he prepared to speak.

" Computer! Call the Tallest! " Zim commanded, his voice coming out more unsure than he'd liked.

For what felt like decades, Zims whole world was fixed on that screen, his insides screeched and clawed out in desperation, his antenna twitched with every passing second, waiting, hoping.

The screen flashed with colour, almost making Zim chirp with glee, but he but back his squeak, trying to appear as unphased as possible. This has not affected me, see? I'm perfectly fine without having contact with you. He tried to calm his mind, he did not need the tallest figuring out he was so nervous.

"My allmighty Tallest! '' Zim vowed, respectfully saluting to the two irkens that glared at him through the screen.
"I can't help but notice it's been a whi-"

"I'm gonna stop you right there, " Tallest Red interrupted, his tone annoyed and irritated.

Zims antenna twitched at the sudden cut in, and he held back the words that so desperately wanted to flow out of his mouth.

"Zim, this has gone on long enough" Tallest Red continued, drawn out and sighed.

"What do you mean, my Allmighty Tallest? " Zim tried, though something inside him squirmed, as if to already know what they'd ment.

"Your mission, Zim. " Tallest Purple clarified, glaring at him, looking as if they wanted to erase Zim from existence entirely.

Zims antenna perked up at the mention of his mission, was it something about his progress? He swallowed, he wasn't sure why his insides felt so nervous and dreaded, surely the Tallest wouldn't be calling him off just because his mission is taking longer then the other Invasions. This is was a top secret mission after all, it made sense that it took longer, right?

The Tallest galnced at each other,, before turning back to him and revealing in unison,
"It was a lie. "

Zim froze. His mind ran a mile a second, millions of emotions washed over him, but none seemed to actually crack through to him. It felt unreal, the pathetic way his throat seemed to close up, denying any words from trembling out of him.

"..What?" His voice finally whispered, trembled and disbelieved, it was almost just as faint as the quiet buzzing that emitted from the electronics.

The Tallest heard though.

"We never sent you on a 'Secret Mission". You weren't supposed to find a planet, you aren't apart of Impending Doom Two, Zim. You never were. " Tallest Red explained, his annoyed tone not faltering.