How Human of You

Zim felt his squeedly spooch churn dreadfully at the question, a part of him knowing it'd come soon.

His antenna drooped, and he found his throat closing up, not allowing any words to be spoken.

He found himself with a scowling expression as he began to wonder how to reply.

Zim sat silently for what felt like hours, his mind replaying all the things that happened, making him feel weird.

The irken didn't want to tell Dib, he'd probably throw him out right then and there, and Zim wouldn't blame him.

The human had been trying to stop him since he'd arrived, Dib would probably be furious, spending so much time trying to solve a problem just to find out it didn't matter.

He shook himself for even considering the idea of the two being alike, he was a superior irken, and the other was an inferior human.

But something still urged him to not go and destroy the little peace between them, and it made him even angrier.

He didn't care about the human, he didn't, so why was part of him wanting this moment of peace to last longer than just a few hours?

Zim internally hissed at himself, finding all of this sickening, he hated lies, but he still opted to use them anyway.

".. Nothing" The alien choked out, his voice low and uncertain, not maintaining any form of eye contact with Dib.

"Oh cmon, you know that isn't true." Dib pushed, his tone a bit more agitated as he lightly placed his hand on Zims shoulder.

He hissed in retaliation, slapping the humans hand away, his antenna pressed glad against his head.

He squinted down, knowing that he probably wouldn't get out of this, he wasn't in any shape to fight, and probably couldn't walk back to his base from here either.

Bearing his teeth, the alien grunted his teeth in defeat.

"Fine. Whatever- if you're so pressed about my- what happened, I'll-.. " Zim blurted, voice cracking as he trailed off.

He swallowed, pushing back the urge to just admit he was upset, and wanted comfort, like a defective smeet.

"I'll tell you. " he finished, trying to sound more sure, as if he didn't really care and wasn't affected by anything.

But it failed, and Zim realised he didn't really know where to begin explaining.

The irken took a shaky, quiet but deep breath before he started, admittedly nervous about how this was going to go.

"M-My, er, tallest- Almighty Tallest, " Zim corrected as he began trying to ignore how choked his voice sounded, and how his whole body seemed to tremble slightly.

"Your leaders? " Dib mumbled, seemingly unsure of what to expect next.

"Yes, Almighty Tallest Red and Purple, rulers of the irken empire. " he continued, more confident this time. Talking about his tallest, in a more praising matter, was something he had lots of practice with.

Zim swallowed before continuing, having to focus on actually getting what happened out of his mouth.

"They- I called them, a few, er, days ago. " Zim tried, not sure if he should reveal specific dates.

He could see the humans interest peeking from the corner of his eye, and he turned to face him, recalling back to some of the things he'd learnt over the years, to face someone when you're trying to sound honest.

"They, uhm, well-  they acted differently, then I'd expected them too, " he continued, finding himself fiddling with his uniform's collar.

"... I-they, told me some information- About my mission- i-" Zim found himself unable to finish that sentence, as a sudden wave of emotion hit him, and he immediately turned his face opposite to the human.