Exposure

Dib let out a frustrated sigh when the door closed, his stance deflating.

Zim was stubborn.

Amazingly so, actually.

But, it wasn't so amazing for him right now.

He needed to get Zim to listen to him. To agree.

But when has the alien ever agreed with him?

Zim has always been hard to convince, he wasn't sure why he thought it'd change this time.

Maybe it was the unnerved look in his eyes when he'd called his leaders, maybe it was the way his body trembled ever so slightly, or how he'd swore he heard sobbing after he'd left the room.

God, why did something always have to ruin things when they finally reached a normal?

Well, kinda normal.

Dibs expression softened ever so slightly.

If Zim had been in his house a week ago, it wouldn't have been a friendly sleepover.

It's really crazy how this all happened so fast.

It'd only been five days since he'd saved the Irken.

Only five days since everything started.

It had felt so, so much longer.

He shook his head. He was getting off track.

He needed to think of a plan, a proper one.

One that'd convince Zim.

Dib jumped slightly as he heard the door bang open, and he didn't need to look to know Zim was back, with Gir.

"Hi mary!! " The tiny robot greeted, peeking at him through the archway to the living room.

He gave a sheepish wave, as he focused on the slightly annoyed expression on the alien's face.

"trashed up the base again? " Dib questioned as he stood from the couch, stretching his limbs.

Zim didn't reply, just rolling his eyes with a 'tsk'.

Gir abruptly started giggling, and proceeded to speed off.

There was a slight pause, before he turned.

"Zim, " He started, not entirely sure how to begin.

"What? " The alien gave him a quizzical stare.

"... Are you sure you want to do… are you sure you want to Invade earth? " His voice was nervous as he looked away.

"We've been over this, yes. " He spat, glaring at the human with an annoyed expression.

"I know- but c'mon, Zim, there has to be something else you can do. Even if it means defying your leaders. " Dib pleaded, desperation clear in his words.

"I don't want to talk about this. You already know my answer. " Zim huffed, looking a bit more uncomfortable.

"You don't want to do it, do you? " A frown seeped onto his face.

"I do! " He tensed, antennae flattened.

"You just wouldn't get it. You're. not. Irken! " Zim held a threatening stance, claw pointed to emphasise his point.

"Yeah, but still! It doesn't matter if I'm not an alien, there's always a chance to fight back, or at least reason! "

"There has to be something we could do. " Dib knew he was repeating the same points, but what else would he do to get the idea across?

"Shut up. Zim's not arguing about this. " The irken marched past him, huddling on the couch.

"You know I'm right! " The human argued, following him to the couch.

"Shut up! " He growled.

Zim fidgeted with his claws, leg bouncing just slightly.

"No! I know you want to save this planet too! "

"It doesn't matter! There's only a day until the armada arrives! There's no time for a rebellion! " Zim stood up, his arms open in a wide stance.

He froze.

"What? " Dib blurted.

The alien paused, looking to realise what he just revealed.

"I'm not dealing with this. " He hissed quietly, hastily approaching the door.

"Hay! Zim stop-" Dib rushed to stop him. 

He paused, threw on his wig and grabbed his contacts, then attempted to run out the door.

" Don't-! " He pulled on the alien's arm, trying to stop him.

"I'll be back. '' Zim mumbled, almost inaudible.

He pushed the human off, and ran, slamming the door.

Dib gasped, then whipped the door open.

Unfortunately, he'd forgotten how fast aliens could move. Zim was nowhere to be seen.

He groaned.

He didn't know if he should be worried or annoyed, or maybe both.

But.. He said he was coming back.

The human bit his lip, trying to justify the situation.

Slowly, Dib shut the door. With the hope that Zim wouldn't do anything stupid.

He hoped he hadn't pushed too far.