Rebellion

It had felt way too soon before they were in flight towards the coming armada.

For now, even with the electric anticipation of combat against aliens, anxiety had begun to creep up on him.

Deep down, he knew it was a losing battle waiting to happen. Even with the hope of victory, he was no idiot.

And by the look of it, Zim felt the same.

But even if they did lose, there was still a chance they could make the Armada turn back. Leave earth alone.

And it was that thought, that little spark of possibility, that kept him from just turning tail with the small Irken beside him.

Dib glanced around the cruiser, a break from his rambling mind. Next to him, Zim kept his eyes glued to the sky, watching the mass of ships slowly coming in. Behind the two, GIR sat playing with a random pick of toys, oblivious to what was coming.

The deafening silence only added to his nerves, as Zim seemed to prepare his ship.

“We're almost in attack range.” Said irken commented, looking unsurely between the windshield and controls.

“We can do this.” He encouraged, hoping to sound more confident than he was.

There was no reply, but he couldn't help but notice how their speed increased.

Then, a warning hiss of the ships' offence systems cut through the silence.

The sound brought his attention to the oncoming barrage of aircrafts, which seemed much closer than before.

They were in aiming range.

The air seemed to crackle with anticipation as his partner worked his way with a quick strategy, the whiff of battle strong and unwavering.

Wordlessly, Zim fired hasty shots at the crowded ships, weaving smartly to avoid most counter attacks.

Dib watched in awe as the damaged crafts fell from the sky, a strange hope glistening truthfully through the haze.

Though the high was short lived, for a violent hit to their own vessel brought back a wave of fear.

Besides him, the Irken growled in frustration, mumbling what he'd assume were his language’s curses.

“Moderate damage to the engines. We don't have much more time before we go down. ” Zim reported, glancing at a small, flashing screen on the side of his controls.

He sucked In a sharp breath, before changing aim to a larger ship.

The massive.

This charge was longer, brimming with power as he took aim.

With a pause that felt like years, the shot was fired.

The force of the attack itself sent tremors through the ship, and Dib himself could see the impact on the leading aircraft.

Smoke burst from the hit department, and without pause, little objects were spilled into the air.

He squinted at the ones closed to them to see… a packet of chips? Were snacks falling through the sky right now?

He would've laughed at the irony of it all, if it weren't for the attacks that followed.

The attacks shook the ship's body with such an aggressive force that Dib thought it would up and break right then and there.

Before he could even blink, they were plummeting towards the earthy ground.

The two yelped, and he believed he heard a metallic screech from behind them.

A pang of pain struck through his body as he collided with the windshield, temporarily making the world hazy.

Crashed against newly broken grass, he began to hoist himself off the glass.

Luckily enough for them, the ship hadn't been completely tipped upside down, rather at an awkward tilt.

Zim hissed as he harshly pulled his arm to his chest, presumably suffering the same minor pain he had.

As sound came back to him fully, he began to hear the woosh of ships flying much too close for comfort.

Before he could speak up about this though, a sudden light momentarily stunned him, then he realised it was a call.

From the Irken leaders, The Tallest.

He paused, unsure, watching his alien companion.

He swallowed, before swiftly pressing a few buttons and opening the transmission.

Yet, he noticed, there was no formal greeting from Zim.

“Zim! What the heck do you think you're doing?! ” The purple eyed Irken yowled, seething.

“I… do not believe we should Invade this planet, and if attacking the Armada is the only way to stop the will of you, then- then that's a risk I was willing to take. ” He spoke with such a confidence that Dib almost believed it to be true, yet he noted that the smaller alien didn't seem to meet the eyes of the others.

“Are you defying our word?! Attacking the massive was already a crime worthy of deactivation, but this? You truly are defective. ” It was the red one that spoke now, tone spiky and attacking.

“I'm no defective! ” Zim yelled, loud and angry. And even the alien himself seemed a little shocked at his outburst.

“Y-you two have used me since we were trainies. Before you were even Tallest. And now, you come running back to me after you left me here on this planet without a care? I'm done, you guys have caused nothing but pain for me. It's your turn to know what it's like to lose.”

“You are not my Tallest. ” Zim spoke his last words with venom, cold and firm, before he cut the call.