Disguise Hunting

Zim found himself following Dib, the bright light of the outside world burning through his vision, making the walk more dreadful then it already was.

His burns rubbed against his uniform and the clothing on top of it, making the alien very uncomfortable.

The alien continued on though, only now realising how much he, admittedly, liked the disguise.

He internally scowled at the fact, feeling disgusted at himself for missing something as small as a wig and contacts.

Zim's antenna twitched slightly as he realised he'd probably have to get completely new contacts.

"... Do you… maybe want to continue talking about what happened- has- is happening? " Dib spoke up, glancing at the irken.

His antenna rose slightly, and he glanced around for any humans before he nodded.

He knew it was unirkly, to need- no, want help. Especially from the enemy, but he couldn't find the will to resist whatever urges pulled him to tell the human everything.

"After my tallest had informed me of- about my missions… truth, I.. Didn't take it well, " Zim began, staring at nothing in particular as he continued walking.

Dib gave a nod, ensuring that he was listening.

"I took out my… er- feelings- anger, on my lab. " He continued, fumbling for the correct word, that he didn't truly find.

"A-as you would've noticed, of course. By the time I was finished, my lab was completely demolished, and the majority of my security was cut. " Zim winced at the memory for just a moment, his antenna lowering.

"That's how you got in, right? Because the gnomes were deactivated " the irken questioned Dib, slightly trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, they didn't attack me. " Dib confirmed with a small nod.

There was a small silence as Zim debated what to say next, fiddling with the strings that hung from the sweater.

"Why did you attack me? At school, I mean. " Dib blurted, glancing curiously at him.

He opened his mouth for a moment, antenna bobbing.

"Er, well uh- " The irken started, his fidgeting becoming more noticeable.

He swallowed, turning his gaze far away from the humans.

"Zim was, not… very happy that day. And you were… annoying me, yes. " Zim nodded lightly at himself, hoping Dib wouldn't push for more information, like he often did.

Fortunately for him, Dib didn't pry for anything more, welcoming the silence that followed as the two continued on their walk.

The two walked like that for a while, a comfortable silence lingering around them as they passed houses and parks, before Zim finally began to recognize his forestry surroundings.

Just the night before, the irken had laid crumpled up on the grass in this very location, after a failed attempt to take his own life.

He winced at everything, if Dib hadn't interrupted, he would've been free.

The splashing water seemed to taunt him, mocking his failure to do the most simplest of things, die.

A hand was placed on Zim's shoulder, making him jolt out of the trans he was slowly sinking into.

"Do you remember where, or do you have any theories as to where your disguise may be..? " The human beside him asked, turning to him.

Zim noticed how Dib positioned himself, a casual, yet read and almost guarding stance, he wouldn't need to ask to know what the humans body language meant though, it was obvious.