Collapsing Delusions

Zim cackled, pointing to the TV.

"Foolish humans! " he barked, referring to the horror movie that was blared across the screen.

Two people walked through an eerily dark hallway, towards where the killer had been seen in the last shot.

Dib giggled, though he looked tired.

How late was it? Humans have to rest when it gets late, right?

The Irken, still with a smirk, scanned the room. Well it was dark, and the Dib-sister had already left halfway through this movie.

Zim paused, how many of these movies had they watched?

He mentally shrugged, probably didn't matter.

His attention was pulled back to the screen as the computer program he'd installed earlier spoke up, a pop up appearing on the TV.

" Tallest are callin'." The program informed with a bored tone.

What?

Zim froze, antennae shot up in a supposed manner.

The tallest were calling him.

"W-what? Answer it! " He found himself jumping off the couch hastily, wiping himself down of any crumbs.

The Irken stood formally as the call connected, a strange unease settling in his squeedlyspooch.

"M-my tallest! " Zim blurted as the two figures appeared on the screen, he wasn't sure if he was supposed to speak first. His leaders rarely called him, it was usually the other way around.

Well, it used to be the other way around.

He shook off the thought, focusing on the red and purple Irken that blared on the screen.

"Zim… where are you? " Tallest Purple squinted an eye, reminding him that this was not his base.

"Oh- uh, " he whipped his head around the space quickly, merely scanning the area.

"Whatever. Zim, we uh.. You know our last call? " Tallest red began, hesitancy lingering on his voice.

The small Irken swallowed. That call…

"Yes, my tallest. " Zim affirmed, his voice ever so slightly deflated, and his eyes just slightly less focused than before.

The two Irken on the screen exchanged a glance.

"Well, it was a… " Tallest red paused.

"...A test! Yes, we were merely testing your loyalty to the Irken empire. " Purple quickly added, with a small smile on his face.

He bit the inside of his mouth, why… Why did this sound so fake? Why didn't they sound serious?

No, he shouldn't doubt his tallest, he was probably just making things up.

"Oh! " Zim felt guilty, he had to force his antennae to perk. Irk, he really needed to be more grateful.

The tallest were giving him another chance, after all.

"Yes! I knew the Tallest wouldn't abandon Irks best invader! … I did.. Pass right? " He found his words sounded weird, not vocally, just the words he spoke. They didn't sound correct, in fact, everything felt a little strange.

"Yes yes, of course. " Red lazily gestured, rolling his eyes.

"We want you to continue your… er, invasion. " The purple eyed Irken offered, well more commanded he supposed.

His invasion… right. That's what he was here for.

"O-of course my tallest! An invader like myself could easil-"