31.

Tw: Violence
This chapter will be a little dark & twisted 🤪

Alek
____________________________

My heart was hammering in my chest the instant I saw the distressed look on Julian's face.

Without giving it a second thought, I got up and followed the guys inside the house.

"What's going on? Is something wrong?" I questioned.

"I just got a call. It's not good, man."

"Just tell me what the fuck is going on, Julian." I spat out angrily, clenching my fists until my nails pierced through the skin of my palms.

"He's not dead." Julian said worriedly, pacing the floor of his office. "I just spoke with the FBI and you're not going to believe this."

"Spit it out already, for fuck sakes!" I slammed my fist against the table, bringing Julian to a halt.

"Sorry." Julian sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"The body that was found wasn't Viktor's. It. . . It wasn't even a man's body, it was a woman's."

"But the news said—"

"I know. It was all a hoax. Viktor must have paid off the news station to report a false story. The FBI is still looking into it. I can't even get Marco, the guy who was supposed to kill Viktor on the phone. It went to voicemail before, but now it says the numbers not in service."

"Do they know who the woman was?" Anthony cut in; my worries only worsening.

What if it was Anya? I haven't talked to her in a while now. If it was her, I could never forgive myself. I can't think of anyone else it could be.

"This is where it gets even more fucked up. The woman's name was Jamie Campbell. Now, after the FBI did some research, they found some information on Noah. I'm sure you know he was adopted?"

"Of course I do." Noah never talked about it much though, he said his upbringing wasn't bad in any way, but his adoptive parents moved away and left him here once he was of age. Apparently they call once a month to chat, but Noah always felt like they did just to make sure he was still breathing, not because they wanted to.

"What does this have to do with anything?" I asked.

"Noah's last name isn't technically Jensen, it's Campbell. The body that was found was Noah's biological mother."

"What? But. . . Why would. . . This doesn't make any sense. What would his biological mother have to do with any of this?" If Noah didn't even know his real parents, how would Viktor find them?

"Hey guys, everything alright?" Liam walked through the door, giving us all a concerned look.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it, Liam. You don't need to be dragged into this." Anthony spoke to Liam, his tone harsh.

"You don't have to be a part of this either, man. I didn't ask you to be here." I glared at Anthony. He can be a real fucking dick sometimes.

"I don't really have much of a choice when my husband's safety is once again on the line here. We've gone through enough shit, I don't need to be dealing with this." Anthony's frustration continued to escalate. He swallowed back half a glass of bourbon and slammed it down on the coffee table.