5) Temple

The mirror reflected a woman in a yellow saree, hairline filled with vermillion and a nuptial chain she had hardly worn in months

The mirror reflected a woman in a yellow saree, hairline filled with vermillion and a nuptial chain she had hardly worn in months. The goosebumps on her skin were hidden behind the half-sleeve navy blue chickankari blouse.

Licking her lips, she averted her gaze from the woman who looked married to her but, in reality, she wished for nothing but divorce.

"Ready?" The voice got her moving, she didn't wait for him but walked past him with her clutch and phone.

"Stop." Fingers caught her arm. "You will walk with me."

She kept mum and waited without looking at him. Each day, all she had gotten from him was ignorance for the past two years, and seeing him suffering the same, calmed her heart to a certain extent.

They silently walked down the stairs and a servant passed her an Aarti thaal which she took with a polite smile.

"Where is Rakshit?" The matriarch asked a servant.

"He is asleep, madam." The staff bowed.

"Wake him up and ask him to bring Shreya to the temple in the next half an hour." Her demand had the staff scurried on his feet, running to deliver the order.

"Vidyut and his wife will join us in the temple. Come on we should leave." Rashi announced with distaste, glaring at Dhwani for her lack of jewelry and others start moving.

"Your radio silence does not affect me, Dhwani." His voice halted her midway yet she didn't glance at him and settled in the passenger seat, while Anirudh took the driver's.

She could see his jaw clenched and his knuckles tightening in the steering wheel yet his face remained calm.

She kept watching outside not meeting his gaze once. The phone rang and he talked through the Bluetooth air buds.

She chuckled to herself mirthlessly, his efforts ended the moment his work or his family topped his priority list. She was never a priority.

Not waiting for him to open her door, she jumped out the moment the car stopped.

Her eyes searched for Uttara, and a genuine smile ruled her features as she hurriedly walked towards the girl who stood talking to Vidyut who looked irritated although interested in everything she said as he pretended to scroll his device.

He listened to her every word yet did not let her know.

"Uttara" She called for her attention and the girl squealed seeing her, the thaal thrust in Vidyut's hands ignoring his scowl.

"Bhabhi" She was engulfed in a tight hug. Dhwani finally felt at peace as a tear rolled down her cheeks which she quickly wiped. "I missed you so much."

"Me too." Dhwani cupped her face "How have you been?"

"Great. What about you?" Uttara grinned widely. "How is your orphanage doing? I missed volunteering last to last week. I had an urgent sequence to shoot."