6) Office

The piled-up files kept her hooked, not letting her stray eyes away as the commotion heightened outside, though she never cared about office chatter, gossip, or any news which traveled faster than any other grapevine communication

She summarized the annual expense report for the charity ball which was held each year by the Chauhan and sighed. Rubbing her temple, she gulped a sip of water to hydrate herself due to the heat outside.

The summers were at their peak in Mumbai and it won't be a surprise if you find people passing out because of a lot of heat.

Her lips felt dry, and so as her throat. Pursing her lips, she gulped a few more sips until a knock distracted her.

"Ma'am, the event planners are here and waiting in the 5th Meeting room." The peon informed her.

"Thank you," She said and picked the required files, "Can you ask someone to get me a strong Nimbu Pani? Do not put a lot of salt, please. Only a pinch will do."

The peon nodded and she thanked him again, checking herself in the mirror quickly, she assessed her face and made her way out. She was managing these events for the last three years and has attended none.

The first year she was a junior associate who looked after every detail until the party started and left before the guests arrived. The second year, her husband was out of town and there was no way she was expected to visit alone.

And, lastly, the previous year she had seen the high society of Mumbai make her endure any more interactions which started with condescending smiles and ended with mocking her behind her back.

She wondered if anyone from the circle remembered her face anymore as Anirudh Chauhan's wife, not that she made any effort nor has she attended any event in the last year. Keeping herself in the office, orphanage, and the house she stayed for free in return for carrying the surname she didn't fit to.

Her chain of thoughts broke as the Elevator chimed and she passed a quick smile as a goodbye to her lift-mates and stepped out, only to be dashed into a woman who landed flat on the floor because of her high heels.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" She quickly bends down to check the woman who looked utterly raged.

"Are you blind?" The woman screeched and earned a lot more attention than it was there. "Do your eyes work or they are for display purposes only?"

"Apologies, I was in a hurry." Dhwani slid the urge to refute but smiled apologetically and gestured to another girl to help the lady, as she abhorred her presence.

The girl she had seen join just last month helped the woman back on her feet who in return glared at her harshly.

"How dare you say that? Does being in a hurry give you a free pass to knock anyone on your way?" The woman fired questions at her and she sighed.