45) Daughter

He wondered if this ocean had the power to absorb the evil

He wondered if this ocean had the power to absorb the evil. If its salt was capable enough to burn wounds and rip them apart. If these waves were powerful enough to swallow any man alive and spit its bones out.

He wondered if there were sea monsters who savored blood and enjoyed tearing limps apart, fighting to have a share of their food, or were their ships had sunk into the depth, the land below having a gravitational force that could land a body on the sharp iron objects of that ship, stabbing through the skin and then the salt water caressing it like a mother. Gentle but ready to excruciate pain screams.

He wondered what the ocean had in it to torment, to seek vengeance.

He wondered what he had in him to seek revenge.

"He is here."

Anirudh glanced beside him, watching Hyde stand facing the same ocean he had been staring at. "Where?"

"Behind you." The man lighted a cigar and blew out a cloud of smoke as Anirudh turned to his other side, facing the man he had scheduled to meet here.

"ACP Varun." Anirudh clipped his name in a formal greeting.

"Anirudh Chauhan." Varun returned the favor, glancing towards the ocean and back at him. "I heard the ocean here is never calm. I can see why."

The police were involved when Anirudh recovered the proof of conversations from Dhwani's watch. His wife may love oxidized jewelry but she had a knack for smart watches that came in handy this day. As she described, her watch had recorded the conversations she had heard hiding from those men, and the voices, may be acute, but were enough to put the assistant commissioner on Dishant's back and clear a lot of rumors that surrounded his family.

"Did you find him?" Anirudh asked the man without beating around the bush.

Dishant had absconded his home, somehow the rat knew his D-day was nearing him.

All thanks to Media who was quick to display his face all over. They had received a befitting reply from their ever-so-efficient PR head who had thunder in her words and storms in her veins she held Dhwani against her.

"In the minivan." Varun jutted his chin towards the minivan parked at a distance. "Your Italian Ken can take him out."

Hyde scowled but said nothing turning towards Anirudh who exhaled a breath gathering his patience when it was nowhere to be found.

"Let him out, Hyde," Anirudh instructed him glaring back at the ocean, challenging it to show its cards while he prepared his. "That little fucker deserves to enjoy the world he thought he could burn. Show him how much he failed."

"Sir." His acknowledgment was always the same, uptight and a promise of completion of his instructions.

"Thank you for the help, ACP." He was genuinely grateful.