17) Breathless

The loud slam of the door made Uttara blink back from her sleepy stature

The loud slam of the door made Uttara blink back from her sleepy stature. She decided to check the time and frowned as the phone was nowhere within her reach. She sat up dazed and switched the side lamp on. Blinking and adjusting to the bright lights in the room, she groaned as her eyes protested to stay open.

She had returned early morning from the set, completing the shooting for her day. The rain destroying and disrupting the schedule had led the crew to pull back and kill time until the clouds pitied them and decided to give a free passage before the start of the next set of showers.

Her shoot which was supposed to end around midnight, ended at 5 o'clock in the morning seeing the protruding first rays of the morning sun and no longer the night scenes being shot.

They wrapped the day and she was permitted to leave seeing she had requested an off day.

By the time she had reached home, Vidyut was up and out for his run and she was welcomed to an empty house. Her fatigue pushed her to sleep without waiting to meet her husband who had been ignoring her presence like a plague for the past few days.

Credit goes to Farhan and her drunken self.

Not that Vidyut blamed her but he had stormed out of the house the moment she had uttered those words and slammed his fist in Farhan's face in the broad daylight.

Uttara had shrieked, horrified watching him breathing fire and slamming the man in the wall, threatening him to never show his face or stand in her vicinity ever again.

Instead of returning to the apartment with his bruised knuckles, he dashed off in his car leaving her waiting until midnight with him being a no-show. She did not see him the next day or the next to next.

Finding his laundry and upturned files told her that he had returned but she hadn't seen or talked to him.

It was like back to the initial months of their marriage when he kept to his hospital and avoided their apartment.

Until today.

The measured footsteps on the carpeted floor and soft breathing sounds in the dead apartment gave away his presence. Uttara cleared her daze and stepped out of bed, feeling a strain in her waist that she had received slipping on sets yesterday. She had pulled a muscle and it seemed to be burning now that she had gotten rest and her mind was less occupied.

Massaging the area with her finger pads, she tip-toed towards the washroom and switched on the hot water shower. Shredding her clothes, she stepped inside and moaned in relief as the water soothed her a little. The shower blocked any external sound and she scrubbed herself clean.

Today was the day for Gala and Rakshit's engagement.

She couldn't afford any setbacks or Dhwani would end up being burdened with any task if already not taken care of the lady herself.